Net Torque of CD: Calculating with Mass & Radius

• Thread starter elemnt55
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining the net torque acting on a CD based on its mass, radius, and acceleration. The formula being used is .5MR^2 for the moment of inertia, which was calculated to be 25.5208. However, the correct value for the moment of inertia is 25.52 kg*m^2. The conversation also mentions the conversion of units from grams and centimeters to kilograms and meters.
elemnt55
A CD has a mass of 18.0 g and a radius of 6.11 cm. When inserted into a player, the CD starts from rest and accelerates to an angular velocity of 19.6 rad/s in 0.768 s. Assuming the CD is a uniform solid disk, determine the net torque acting on it.

Formula I am using: .5MR^2 for the I which = 25.5208
Then the w= chg in radians/ chg in time
Then the a = chg in w/ chg in time

Net torque = Ia

so i get 1827.33J which isn't right

i also tried converting the g into kg and the cm into m but got wrong answer

Physics news on Phys.org
elemnt55 said:
Formula I am using: .5MR^2 for the I which = 25.5208
25.52 rad/sec^2 is the angular acceleration, not the rotational inertia.

What did you calculate for I? (Yes, convert to standard units: kg & m)

First of all, it is commendable that you are using the correct formula for the moment of inertia (I) of a uniform solid disk, which is 0.5MR^2. However, there are a few errors in your calculation.

Firstly, you have used the incorrect value for the mass of the CD. The given value is 18.0 g, but you have used 18.0 kg. This results in a much larger moment of inertia, which leads to a higher net torque value.

Secondly, you have not converted the radius from centimeters to meters. The correct radius to use in the formula is 0.0611 m, not 6.11 m. This also contributes to the higher net torque value you have calculated.

To get the correct answer, you need to use the correct values for mass (0.018 kg) and radius (0.0611 m) in the formula. This will give you a moment of inertia value of 0.00000557 kgm^2. Then, using the given angular velocity (19.6 rad/s) and the time taken to reach that velocity (0.768 s), you can calculate the angular acceleration (25.52 rad/s^2). Plugging these values into the formula Net torque = Ia, you will get a net torque of 0.142 Nm.

In summary, the correct net torque acting on the CD is 0.142 Nm, not 1827.33 J. It is important to use the correct units and values in calculations to get accurate results.

Related to Net Torque of CD: Calculating with Mass & Radius

1. What is net torque?

Net torque is the measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is net torque calculated?

To calculate net torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the axis of rotation. You then multiply the force by the distance to get the net torque.

3. What is the role of mass in calculating net torque?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to change in motion. In calculating net torque, the mass of an object determines how much force is required to rotate it.

4. What is the significance of the radius in calculating net torque?

The radius is the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. It plays a crucial role in determining the amount of torque, as a larger radius will result in a larger torque.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating net torque?

Sure, let's say we have a CD with a mass of 50 grams and a radius of 5 cm. If a force of 10 N is applied to the edge of the CD, the net torque would be calculated as follows: Net Torque = Force x Distance = 10 N x 0.05 m = 0.5 Nm.