Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neural network inputs and targets

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    I've written a program for character recognition but now upon testing I am unsure about a couple things. I'm having problems with training and simulating the network. Here is my interpretation of how network training goes.

Suppose I want to recognize the letters in the ABCD image attached. In MATLAB I used the function

Code (Text):
    [net,tr] = train(net,inputs,targets);
    To train I set inputs = targets, where targets is the image with "ABCD". Then to recognize, say the letter D, I use this function

Code (Text):
    sim(net,input);
    where input = the letter "D".

All this is done after appropriate image processing where I convert the images to binary matrices where each row describes a letter.

Is my understanding in how MATLAB trains correct? I want to be able to train once for all the letters, then have the user select any image (each image contains either only a "A", "B", "C", "D") and submit it to the network and notify the user if there is a match.

Attached Files:

• ABCD.bmp
      ABCD.bmp
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
    • D.bmp
      D.bmp
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted