What is the Neurobiology of Intelligence?

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary, Gray and Thompson have written a magisterial review of the issue of differential intelligence studies, bringing together various research methods such as twin studies, PET scans, fMRIs, lesion research, and molecular genetics. They also discuss the ethics surrounding these studies. While the conversation participants find it interesting, they do not see it as a revolutionary discovery and note that it is likely a compilation of previous findings rather than new information.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Gray and Thompson have a magisterial review of this issue at http://www.loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/PDF/nrn0604-GrayThompson.pdf . They bring together twin studies, PET scans, fMRIs, lesion research, molecular genetics, and much else, and discuss the ethics of differential intelligence studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Very interesting! :p I have only read the two first pages and browsed the rest. This does not seem revolutionary to me. Is this a new "discovery"?

Thallium said:
Very interesting! :p I have only read the two first pages and browsed the rest. This does not seem revolutionary to me. Is this a new "discovery"?

I haven't read it yet, but SelfAdjoint did say "review" which means it's an article that pulls together previous findings and tries to draw some sort of cohesive conclusion from them, or presents it in a way to point out the unanswered questions and/or gaps in current knowledge. Sometimes authors toss in a few new findings that aren't significant enough to stand alone in a separate article into a review article, but generally, one shouldn't expect anything really new in a review.

1. What is neurobiology?

Neurobiology is the study of the nervous system, including its structure, function, development, and diseases.

2. What is intelligence?

Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept that can be defined as the ability to acquire and apply knowledge, solve problems, and adapt to changing environments.

3. How is intelligence measured?

Intelligence is typically measured through standardized tests, such as IQ tests, which assess cognitive abilities such as reasoning, problem-solving, and memory.

4. Is intelligence determined by genetics or environment?

Both genetics and environment play a role in determining intelligence. Studies have shown that genetics can account for about 50% of individual differences in intelligence, while environmental factors such as education and upbringing also have an impact.

5. Can intelligence be improved?

While there is no definitive answer, research suggests that intelligence can be improved through various methods such as education, cognitive training, and brain stimulation. However, the extent to which intelligence can be improved may vary among individuals.