Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutral particle accelerator

1. Sep 21, 2003 #1
    I have seen a few references to neutral particle accelerators, anybody know how they work? For example, how would it be possible to accelerate a neutron to near-c velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2003 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

not sure if this is relevant at all

ok, im not sure if this would be of any reference or if im just talking out of my ass here but the only way i could think of accelerating neutons would be to bombard them with free quarks because maybe that would cause a charge if a atomic quark was knocked off...however i dont know if thats even possible so ....whatever lol

4. Sep 22, 2003 #3
    Perhaps photonic pressure via lasers would work.

5. Sep 23, 2003 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When a particle accelerator dumps the beam (I understand that all have this capability, as a safety measure if nothing else), a pretty intense beam of neutral particles, travelling at c, is created.

The particles are called neutrinos.

6. Sep 23, 2003 #5
    Neutral beams may be created by collisions between proton beams and nuclei (e. g., that of deuterium), and collimated by specifically aligned materials.

7. Sep 23, 2003 #6

FZ+

A rather familar "neutral particle accelerator" is (drum roll...) gravity.

8. Oct 16, 2006 #7

taylaron

Gold Member

a pretty good summary of the neturino is in nova's the gohst particle

9. Oct 17, 2006 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It would have been useful if you actually CITE these references. If not, all you will get will be ambiguous responses as we try to grope in the dark to see if any of what we answer actually hit your target.

Zz.

10. Oct 17, 2006 #9

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The most commen way of producing a beam of high energy neutrons is by accelerating deuterons and then stripping the proton off in a collision with a thin target.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?