Neutral particle accelerator

• Thread starter alexbib
  • Start date
I have seen a few references to neutral particle accelerators, anybody know how they work? For example, how would it be possible to accelerate a neutron to near-c velocity?

jimmy p

Gold Member
not sure if this is relevant at all

ok, im not sure if this would be of any reference or if im just talking out of my ass here but the only way i could think of accelerating neutons would be to bombard them with free quarks because maybe that would cause a charge if a atomic quark was knocked off...however i dont know if thats even possible so ....whatever lol

Perhaps photonic pressure via lasers would work.

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When a particle accelerator dumps the beam (I understand that all have this capability, as a safety measure if nothing else), a pretty intense beam of neutral particles, travelling at c, is created.

The particles are called neutrinos.

Neutral beams may be created by collisions between proton beams and nuclei (e. g., that of deuterium), and collimated by specifically aligned materials.

FZ+

A rather familar "neutral particle accelerator" is (drum roll...) gravity.

taylaron

Gold Member
a pretty good summary of the neturino is in nova's the gohst particle

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
alexbib said:
I have seen a few references to neutral particle accelerators, anybody know how they work? For example, how would it be possible to accelerate a neutron to near-c velocity?
It would have been useful if you actually CITE these references. If not, all you will get will be ambiguous responses as we try to grope in the dark to see if any of what we answer actually hit your target.

Zz.

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
alexbib said:
The most commen way of producing a beam of high energy neutrons is by accelerating deuterons and then stripping the proton off in a collision with a thin target.