Questions on Neutrinos: Mass, OPERA & More

• Thread starter AlfreCabo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
In summary: Photons have mass because they interact with the strong force. Matter blocks light because photons have a momentum which keeps them from bouncing off of things. This is why things like a wall can stop light - it has a higher mass than the photons, and so the photons are stopped. Similarly, neutrinos have a low mass, so they can easily pass through matter.2. I have read that reason for neutrinos go through matter (like in the OPERA experiment from CERN to Grand Sasso) is because they don't have mass. Photons also don't have mass, so why light is stopped by mass such as a wall?The reason
AlfreCabo
I have some questions regarding the recent neutrino´s theories:

1. Neutrinos have or don't have mass? I have heard both postures.
2. I have read that reason for neutrinos go through matter (like in the OPERA experiment from CERN to Grand Sasso) is because they don't have mass. Photons also don't have mass, so why light is stopped by mass such as a wall?
3. << overly speculative topic question deleted by Mentor >>

Thanks!

Alfredo

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wondering same questions!

AlfreCabo said:
I have some questions regarding the recent neutrino´s theories:

2. I have read that reason for neutrinos go through matter (like in the OPERA experiment from CERN to Grand Sasso) is because they don't have mass. Photons also don't have mass, so why light is stopped by mass such as a wall?
<< overly speculative topic question deleted by Mentor >>
Thanks!

Alfredo

Your 3rd question involved an overly-speculative topic, so it was deleted. We don't engage in overly speculative discussions at the PF. (Please see the Rules link at the top of the page).

On your questions about neutrino characteristics, this page may help to answer some of your questions:

http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/neutrino.html

At least two of the three neutrino states must have mass. Otherwise, the neutrino mixings we observe would be impossible.

The reason that neutrinos interact so weakly is simply because they are unaffected by either the electromagnetic force or the strong force (which holds together the quarks in protons and neutrons). All of their interactions are through the weak force which, as it's name suggests, is really quite weak. In fact, it's so weak that particles typically need to get within about [itex]10^{-17}[/itex] meters to feel it. For comparison, the radius of a proton is almost [itex]10^{-15}[/itex] meters.

AlfreCabo said:

You've heard (or read) both postures because the existence of neutrino mass was established only fairly recently, during the last 10-15 years. Before that, physicists generally assumed that neutrinos had zero mass, in the lack of evidence to the contrary, while of course continuing to search for definitive evidence one one way or the other. Old books, articles, Web sites, etc. contain outdated information.

AlfreCabo said:

They have mass. Books that say otherwise have outdated information since this was only established in 1998.

That's incorrect. The reason neutrinos go through everything is that they don't interact via the strong nuclear force or electromagnetism. They only thing that affects neutrinos is the weak force, and the weak force is weak...

1. What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that is very small and has no electrical charge. It is one of the building blocks of matter and is often referred to as a "ghost particle" because it can pass through matter without interacting with it.

2. Do neutrinos have mass?

Yes, neutrinos do have mass, although it is very small compared to other particles. Scientists have recently discovered that neutrinos have mass, which was previously thought to be massless.

3. How is the mass of neutrinos measured?

The mass of neutrinos can be measured through experiments such as the OPERA experiment, which involves sending a beam of neutrinos through the Earth and measuring how they change along the way. Other experiments, such as the Super-Kamiokande experiment, also measure the mass of neutrinos through their interactions with other particles.

4. What is the OPERA experiment?

The OPERA (Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus) experiment is a scientific collaboration that aims to study the properties of neutrinos. It involves sending a beam of neutrinos from CERN in Switzerland to an underground laboratory in Italy, where the neutrinos are detected and their properties are measured.

5. Why is the study of neutrinos important?

The study of neutrinos is important because they are one of the most abundant particles in the universe and understanding their properties can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics. Neutrinos also play a crucial role in many astrophysical processes, such as supernovae explosions, and studying them can provide insights into the workings of the universe.