Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New computer

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    I'm looking for a new computer (mainly for gaming) to get within the next month. I need help with finding a good deal since I have been looking and can't find it exactly. I earned $1200 over the summer and that's what I have to get the computer. I would like to spend only around $1000 on the computer itself so I have a couple hundred for other stuff. If anyone could help me with this that would be great.

My second question is sound. I play the drums right next to my current old computer. Is that bad for the computer? It's very loud. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Do you want to buy a pre-made one or do you want to build your own?

And as far as the drums go... theres a few things that might come loose over a long period of time but there probably isn't anything to worry about. At the most, something will stop working in the long run because its connector fell off or something falls. Grab a screwdriver and put it back in :P

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    well Im just going to buy it premade because I haven't made a computer since the turn of the century :redface:

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4
    i would sugest building your own if you have knowledge of hardware. Check www.tigerdirect.com has good deals for motherboards and processors bundled together also barebone kits are nice
    damnit now i seem like a salesman for the website!

6. Sep 27, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Newegg is better than tigerdirect.

7. Sep 27, 2005 #6
    ill have to check newegg out cause i am planning to build a new pc soon, but i like to use tiger direct because they have a canadian version of the stie as well with the canadian prices

8. Sep 27, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

newegg is opening (or possibly already did) a canadian division. Canucks rejoic... ****, how do you spell that word.

9. Sep 28, 2005 #8
    Before you buy online check out: http://www.resellerratings.com. Read the reviews of whichever company you're planning to buy on.

Spending $1000 is really small if you want games to run decent.

10. Sep 28, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You don't need to spend $1000 to run games decently. A $600 machine is fine.

My computer is around $400 (After Rebates) and works very well. Spend the extra $200 on upgrading to the lastest graphics card. Shopping around for the best prices is key.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?