Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New fossil! What hav I found? PIC's

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    New fossil! What hav I found?? PIC's!!

Hi, I have a sister who goes to high school and found this fossil, and now were wondering what it actually is! Could anybody help us figure it out? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: New fossil! What hav I found?? PIC's!!

Pumice perhaps.

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3

I was thinking against that, only because of it's high density.

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Doesn't float then? In texture and weathering it looks a little like a limestone or chalk. How hard is it? Can you get hold of any dilute hydrachloric acid? If it's limestone it should fizz.

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5

No it doesn't float so it's pretty solid! :biggrin:

7. Mar 15, 2010 #6

No, I can't get any dilute hydrachloric acid any time soon, I'm off campus visiting home.

8. Mar 15, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What state was it found in? Was it found in a field, a river bed? Is the surface hard and smooth as opposed to rough? Does it feel sandy or porous?

9. Mar 15, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I have picked a lot of limestone off the breakwater between Tampa and Clearwater, and found a lot of fossilized sea-critters. I also found some limestone with small voids in it, not unlike the pix in the OP.

10. Mar 16, 2010 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Try to scratch it with Your fingernail, a penny and a steel knife. If it's limestone it should scratch easily with the penny and the knife but not your fingernail.

11. Mar 17, 2010 #10

matthyaouw said: "Try to scratch it with Your fingernail, a penny and a steel knife. If it's limestone it should scratch easily with the penny and the knife but not your fingernail."

My reply: It does scratch into a fine white powder when scratched with a penny. Also, when I scratch with my fingernail a smaller fraction of the white powder is produced!

Do you think it's not limestone then?

12. Mar 17, 2010 #11

#ejoe89 replied with:
    .........................................................................................................................
    #The state it was found in?-------------------------------------------------- Michigan.
    #Is the surface either smooth and hard or rough?-------------------------- mostly rough.
    # Does it feel sandy or porous?-------------- Well kind of sandy like the texture of chaulk.
    ..........................................................................................................................

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook