New fossil What hav I found? PIC's

• Thread starter ejoe89
  • Start date
In summary, the sister found a white, hard, smooth-surfaced object that superficially resembles limestone. It was found in Michigan.
ejoe89
New fossil! What hav I found?? PIC's!

Hi, I have a sister who goes to high school and found this fossil, and now were wondering what it actually is! Could anybody help us figure it out? Thanks!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20100315.jpg
    Snapshot_20100315.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 574
  • Snapshot_20100315_1.jpg
    Snapshot_20100315_1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 542
  • Snapshot_20100315_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20100315_2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 534
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Pumice perhaps.

I was thinking against that, only because of it's high density.

Doesn't float then? In texture and weathering it looks a little like a limestone or chalk. How hard is it? Can you get hold of any dilute hydrachloric acid? If it's limestone it should fizz.

No it doesn't float so it's pretty solid! :biggrin:

No, I can't get any dilute hydrachloric acid any time soon, I'm off campus visiting home.

What state was it found in? Was it found in a field, a river bed? Is the surface hard and smooth as opposed to rough? Does it feel sandy or porous?

I have picked a lot of limestone off the breakwater between Tampa and Clearwater, and found a lot of fossilized sea-critters. I also found some limestone with small voids in it, not unlike the pix in the OP.

Try to scratch it with Your fingernail, a penny and a steel knife. If it's limestone it should scratch easily with the penny and the knife but not your fingernail.

matthyaouw said: "Try to scratch it with Your fingernail, a penny and a steel knife. If it's limestone it should scratch easily with the penny and the knife but not your fingernail."

My reply: It does scratch into a fine white powder when scratched with a penny. Also, when I scratch with my fingernail a smaller fraction of the white powder is produced!

Do you think it's not limestone then?

Evo said:
What state was it found in? Was it found in a field, a river bed? Is the surface hard and smooth as opposed to rough? Does it feel sandy or porous?

#ejoe89 replied with:
#The state it was found in?-------------------------------------------------- Michigan.
#Is the surface either smooth and hard or rough?-------------------------- mostly rough.
# Does it feel sandy or porous?-------------- Well kind of sandy like the texture of chaulk.

1. What is the significance of the new fossil?

The significance of a new fossil can vary depending on several factors. It could provide new information about a previously unknown species, add to our understanding of evolutionary history, or fill in gaps in the fossil record. It could also potentially challenge existing theories and lead to new discoveries.

2. How old is the fossil?

Determining the age of a fossil is a complex process that involves various dating techniques such as radiometric dating, stratigraphy, and biostratigraphy. These methods use different principles to estimate the age of the fossil, and the results are often cross-checked to ensure accuracy. It is important to note that the age of a fossil is an estimation and can be affected by various factors, so it is not an exact science.

3. What species does the fossil belong to?

Identifying the species of a fossil can be a challenging task, especially if it belongs to an extinct species. Scientists use a combination of physical characteristics, such as the shape and size of bones and teeth, as well as genetic analysis to determine the species of a fossil. However, it is not always possible to identify the exact species, and the fossil may be classified as a new species or a close relative of an existing one.

4. How does this fossil contribute to our understanding of evolution?

Fossils are crucial pieces of evidence in understanding the process of evolution. By studying the physical characteristics and distribution of fossils, scientists can reconstruct the evolutionary history of a particular species or group of organisms. The new fossil may provide new insights into the evolutionary relationships between different species or fill in gaps in our understanding of how certain organisms evolved over time.

5. What tools and methods were used to excavate and study the fossil?

The tools and methods used to excavate and study a fossil can vary depending on the location, type of fossil, and other factors. In general, paleontologists use specialized tools such as picks, shovels, and brushes to carefully remove the fossil from the surrounding rock. Once the fossil is extracted, it may be studied further using techniques like CT scans, X-rays, and chemical analysis to reveal more details about its structure and composition.