New fossil! What hav I found? PIC's

• Thread starter ejoe89
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

New fossil! What hav I found?? PIC's!!

Hi, I have a sister who goes to high school and found this fossil, and now were wondering what it actually is! Could anybody help us figure it out? Thanks!

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor

Pumice perhaps.

I was thinking against that, only because of it's high density.

matthyaouw
Gold Member

Doesn't float then? In texture and weathering it looks a little like a limestone or chalk. How hard is it? Can you get hold of any dilute hydrachloric acid? If it's limestone it should fizz.

No it doesn't float so it's pretty solid! :biggrin:

No, I can't get any dilute hydrachloric acid any time soon, I'm off campus visiting home.

Evo
Mentor

What state was it found in? Was it found in a field, a river bed? Is the surface hard and smooth as opposed to rough? Does it feel sandy or porous?

turbo
Gold Member

I have picked a lot of limestone off the breakwater between Tampa and Clearwater, and found a lot of fossilized sea-critters. I also found some limestone with small voids in it, not unlike the pix in the OP.

matthyaouw
Gold Member

Try to scratch it with Your fingernail, a penny and a steel knife. If it's limestone it should scratch easily with the penny and the knife but not your fingernail.

matthyaouw said: "Try to scratch it with Your fingernail, a penny and a steel knife. If it's limestone it should scratch easily with the penny and the knife but not your fingernail."

My reply: It does scratch into a fine white powder when scratched with a penny. Also, when I scratch with my fingernail a smaller fraction of the white powder is produced!

Do you think it's not limestone then?

What state was it found in? Was it found in a field, a river bed? Is the surface hard and smooth as opposed to rough? Does it feel sandy or porous?
#ejoe89 replied with:
.........................................................................................................................
#The state it was found in?-------------------------------------------------- Michigan.
#Is the surface either smooth and hard or rough?-------------------------- mostly rough.
# Does it feel sandy or porous?-------------- Well kind of sandy like the texture of chaulk.
..........................................................................................................................