New laptop recommendations for an ME undergrad

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's need for a new laptop for their engineering program and their current preference for a Lenovo Yoga with 16gb ram, 512 ssd, icore i7, windows 10 pro 64. The speaker also seeks recommendations and advice on what to look for and what to avoid when purchasing a laptop. Other participants mention their positive experiences with HP and Lenovo laptops, and the importance of considering the operating system and brand when making a purchase. Overall, the consensus is that modern laptops are commodity items and it is important to find a good deal from a trusted brand.
AndrewDe
I'm starting my engineering program (mechanical engineering) this fall 2017. Transfer student, going in as a Junior. That being said I'm looking to buy a new laptop to get me through the prorgan. I currently have a MacBook Pro 2010, no longer good. I'm not familiar with the Microsoft PC world. Hoping to get some good feed back on, what to look for, and what to stay away from. I currently have my eyes set on a Lenovo Yoga 720, 16gb ram, 512 ssd, icore i7, windows 10 pro 64.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Personally, for the last several years I have been sticking with HP for one simple reason: customer support.

Modern laptops are very much commodity items and you're not likely to go wrong with the hardware/software almost no matter WHAT you buy. I'm very confident that you can find on-line horror stories about poor customer service from ANY company, including HP, but I have had 3 new HP laptops in the last several years (mine, my son's, and my wife's) and I can only say I have been absolutely amazed at the high quality of the customer service I have received for various issues, at least one of which was entirely my own fault. They not only went WAY out of their way to help me solve the problems, they actually called me back on one issue, after a couple of weeks had gone by, just to make sure that the solution they had helped me implement was holding up.

Likes CalcNerd, berkeman and AndrewDe
I would recommend HP too, they are a solid company with a history going back before any PCs existed.
I am told though that Lenova is very good value in terms of what spec you get for the price.
What to steer clear of is companies you never heard of before, especially ones that 'target' you with net advertisements.

Last edited:
I tried a Toshiba satelite flip book, it had some functional quirks I didn't like (keyboard didn't shut off when flipped, battery pack charging feature would not work while powered off, extremely laggy for core i5 with 16g ram) so i returned it and got an HP envy x360 i5 8g ram. Much better computer but still has its own problems (keyboard shuts off when flipped but doesn't turn back on when returned to laptop position, integrated graphics isn't very powerful but at least it works with UHD TV) Return policy of where you purchase is obviously important. ( I bought from Best Buy, no hassle returning first one I tried!)

Last edited:
Likes MarchJanuary
It seems like you are going in the right direction.

I would just stress to get a linux or windows OS based laptop. I have a mac, and while it works and is great, it does make it a bit more challenging to get programs to work for my physics courses.

Otherwise, as others have said, you can't really go wrong, just get a good deal somewhere.

I have a Lenovo Yoga that I've had for several years with similar specs to what you are looking at. I love it! It had gobs of power when I bought it and it has aged well ie it still runs all the software I've added without bogging down or wimping out with poor performance. However, as others have said, today's laptops are pretty much commodity items, but the little bit extra to buy brand names is certainly worth it.

Base on your specs and brand it will be a good buy.

What are the recommended specifications for a new laptop for an ME undergrad?

The recommended specifications for a new laptop for an ME undergrad include at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster boot and program loading times. It is also recommended to have a dedicated graphics card, preferably NVIDIA or AMD, for running engineering software.

Should I get a Windows or Mac laptop for my engineering classes?

It ultimately depends on personal preference, as both operating systems have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, most engineering software is compatible with Windows, so it may be a more practical choice for ME undergrads. Mac laptops may be better for those who prioritize design and aesthetics, but they tend to be more expensive.

How much storage space do I need on my laptop for my engineering courses?

At least 256GB of storage is recommended for an ME undergrad's laptop. This will allow for enough space to store engineering software, assignments, and other necessary files. However, if you plan on storing large files or programs, you may want to consider a laptop with 512GB or more.

Can I use a gaming laptop for my engineering courses?

Yes, you can use a gaming laptop for your engineering courses. In fact, gaming laptops often have powerful processors and dedicated graphics cards, making them suitable for running engineering software. However, they tend to be heavier and more expensive than traditional laptops, so consider your needs and budget before making a decision.

Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for ME undergrads?

Some popular brands and models for ME undergrads include Dell XPS, Lenovo ThinkPad, and HP Spectre. These laptops offer powerful performance, durability, and long battery life, making them suitable for engineering courses. However, it is always best to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your specific needs and budget.