Is the New PF 4.0 Layout Straining Our Eyes?

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
In summary, some people find the new color scheme harder to read, while others like the new layout. There is no definitive answer as to which is better.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I don't know if anyone else has the same opinion as me, but it seems with the new PF 4.0, the color scheme makes it much harder on the eyes to read. I think what you guys had years ago with the green/gray color layout seemed to read quite nice.

The layout just seems clunky to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm ... I think of it as my job to be a pain in the ass to Greg and complain about everything I can think of about the forum, but you've lost me on that one. I like the new layout.

I think I liked the green/gray color scheme instead of white, the one from years back, probably around 2008

Maylis said:
the color scheme makes it much harder on the eyes to read.

That's quite surprising - while the scheme has changed, changes were rather small, at least IMHO - I mean, we are still using white, some light shades of gray and a few dull colors, nothing aggressive.

In a forum that has pinned threads, when the newest thread is also an unanswered thread, I have some difficulty seeing where the pinned threads end, and where the new threads start.

The colours of pinned threads and unanswered threads are similar enough that, for me, they run together at a quick glance when they are adjacent.

Likes TumblingDice
George Jones said:
The colours of pinned threads and unanswered threads are similar enough that, for me, they run together at a quick glance when they are adjacent.
Same for me. But this helps.
pin-outline--ios-7-interface-symbol_318-35106.jpg

Maylis said:
I think I liked the green/gray color scheme instead of white, the one from years back, probably around 2008
The background is also too light for me, it hurts my eyes, a number of members have also expressed the same concern.

Greg, would it be possible, when you recuperate, to darken the background a bit? Please?

I agree, I tend to turn the brightness down on my ipad

I've already turned the brightness on my monitor down as far as it will go.

I can tinker a bit, but no promises. There is no quick fix because a change in one color often means a change in many others to keep the balance.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can tinker a bit, but no promises. There is no quick fix because a change in one color often means a change in many others to keep the balance.

Well, be careful there because if there's one thing we all hate it's an unbalanced tree frog. :DD

Evo said:
I've already turned the brightness on my monitor down as far as it will go.
Funny you mention this as I just bought a new monitor that's ~10x brighter than the old one. My eyes! :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Might want to wait until after the Science Festival. Just sayin'

1. What is a "New Layout reading thread"?

A "New Layout reading thread" refers to a specific type of thread or discussion on a website, where members discuss and analyze the layout and design of a new project, website, or product. It often includes sharing opinions, feedback, and suggestions for improvement.

2. How is a "New Layout reading thread" different from a regular thread?

A "New Layout reading thread" differs from a regular thread in that it focuses specifically on the layout and design of a new project, rather than discussing a general topic. It also tends to be more critical and analytical in nature, rather than casual conversation.

3. Who can participate in a "New Layout reading thread"?

Anyone can participate in a "New Layout reading thread" as long as they are a member of the website or forum where the thread is located. Some websites may have specific requirements or restrictions for participating in these types of threads, such as a minimum post count or membership level.

4. How can I start a "New Layout reading thread"?

To start a "New Layout reading thread", you can typically navigate to the designated forum or section on the website where these types of threads are allowed. From there, you can create a new thread and provide a title and description for the discussion. Make sure to follow any guidelines or rules set by the website for starting new threads.

5. Why are "New Layout reading threads" important?

"New Layout reading threads" are important because they provide valuable feedback and insights for designers and developers to improve their projects. They also allow members to share their opinions and ideas, creating a collaborative and engaging environment for discussion. Additionally, these threads can help improve the overall user experience for the website or product being discussed.