Can Philosophy Background Enhance Self-Study in Physics?

• Thread starter Rollo
  • Start date
In summary, a new member is introducing themselves to a group or community by saying "hi everybody." This is a common phrase used to greet others and is a friendly and welcoming way to start a conversation or interaction. The new member is likely excited or nervous to join the group and is looking forward to getting to know everyone. Overall, the introduction of a new member through a simple greeting is a positive and inclusive experience for all involved.
Rollo
How did you find PF?
via google searches around physics-related topics
Hi everyone. I'm self-studying physics: basically I studied philosophy at university and still read quite a bit, I got interested in the philosophy of physics about 2 years ago, then realized I needed to know more physics to get into this literature properly. Formally speaking I only did physics to UK GCSE and Maths to Alevel. I've gone through Susskind's Theoretical Minimum books, supplemented my maths with an online course on Linear Algebra and a lot of youtube lectures on vector and tensor calculus, and am currently working through Alex Maloney's online GR lectures and Sean Carroll's textbook... (in general I have contributed to the economy around physics by buying quite a lot of books, many of which I buy then realize are not what I need!)

I plan to do enough GR to follow the derivation of and understand the precession of Mercury, redshift, and Schwarzschild solution... then not sure what I'll do next...

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Black hole physics is pretty edgy. Kip Thorne has put out a couple of books on the subject. His latest one was called The Science of Interstellar where they get into black hole physics concepts like how photons will orbit the hole in certain ways.

You’ll also be moving toward understanding the dichotomy between Quantum Mechanics and GR And attempts to unify the two theories.

Here's a recent article from Quanta magazine on black hole physics and holograms that might peak your interest:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/holo...n-to-black-hole-information-paradox-20191119/

Last edited:
Likes Rollo
Many thanks! I shall read the article :)

Likes berkeman