Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New method of propulsion, or simple BS?

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    Someone on a guitar forum posted a link to this site, which supposedly outlines a new method of propulsion. I'm in highschool and I haven't even taken physics yet, so I really am in no position to debunk this, but generally sites that look like that are just nonsense.

So, does anyone who knows their stuff have a reason why this stuff is all just garbage, like those eternal-life bracelets, or is this stuff actually legitimate and just made by a very poor web-designer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Many of the fad sites for the Biefeld-Brown effect try to sell it as about the physics of capaciters, but this wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biefeld-Brown_effect, tells you what is really going on: corona discharge. Yes you can lift small weights with it. No it isn't anti-gravity. It only works within an atmosphere that can be ionized (not in space, therefor).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?