New research or uses of diamond?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is researching diamonds and is looking for new research, technology, or uses for diamonds. They have tried searching online but have not found much. One person suggests looking into nitrogen vacancy centers in diamond, while another suggests using Google Scholar. They also clarify that the definition of "new" may vary and ask for more information on what the person needs to know.
TT0
I am not sure if this is the right forum to put this on so sorry in advance:

Hello, I am currently researching about diamonds. Could someone tell me any new research, technology or uses of diamond? I have tried googling and haven't come across much.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look for research on nitrogen vacancy centers in diamond. It's a very hot field.

Likes TT0
Try google scholar - though you need to define what you mean by "new use" since diamond is a very well researched material so "new" uses are normally putting a not-new use in a new context ... like diamonds can be used as bearings, but I'm quite sure there are some applications of bearings that have not yet seen diamonds used for them. Similarly, "new research" would just be "recent"... same with "new technology". Presumably a diamond studded cover for an iPhone 7 wouldn't count.
It would help to know what you need to know for.

Likes billy_joule and TT0
I see thanks guys

1. What are some new potential uses for diamonds in technology?

Recent research has shown that diamonds have the potential to be used in quantum computing, as well as in superconductors for more efficient energy transmission. Diamonds are also being explored as potential materials for high-pressure experiments and as a source of clean, renewable energy through diamond-based solar cells.

2. How can diamonds be used in the medical field?

Diamonds can be used in a variety of medical applications, including as a coating for medical implants to reduce the risk of infection, as well as in drug delivery systems for more targeted and efficient treatments. Diamonds also have unique optical properties that make them useful in medical imaging techniques such as Raman spectroscopy.

3. Can diamonds be used for environmental purposes?

Yes, diamonds can be used in environmental applications such as water purification and air filtration. Their high surface area and chemical stability make them effective at filtering out contaminants and pollutants. Diamonds can also be used in sensors to detect and monitor environmental factors such as air quality and water pollution levels.

4. What is the potential impact of lab-grown diamonds on the diamond industry?

The rise of lab-grown diamonds has the potential to disrupt the traditional diamond industry by providing a more ethical and sustainable alternative to mined diamonds. These diamonds have the same physical and chemical properties as natural diamonds and are often more affordable, making them an attractive option for consumers.

5. Are there any potential downsides to using diamonds in new applications?

While diamonds have many potential uses, there are also some potential downsides to consider. The process of mining and cutting diamonds can have negative environmental impacts, and the production of lab-grown diamonds still requires a significant amount of energy. Additionally, as with any new technology, there may be unforeseen consequences or risks associated with using diamonds in new applications that require further research and consideration.