New state function after measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hydrogen atom and the combined spin and position state of an electron. The problem involves measuring the spin of the electron along the z-axis and calculating the probabilities of obtaining certain values. It also asks about the new state if a specific measurement is made. The conversation also touches on the concept of a wave function collapsing after a measurement is made and the relationship between uncertainty and non-commuting observables.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

This is an extension to problem 4.55 in Griffiths. The problem is:

The electron in a hydrogen atom occupies the combined spin and position state:
[tex]
\lvert \psi \rangle = R_{21} \left(\sqrt{1/3} Y_1^0 \chi_+ + \sqrt{2/3} Y_1^1 \chi_-\right)
[/tex]

a) If [itex]S_z[/itex] is measured, what values might you obtain, and with what probabilities?
b) If you happen to measure [itex]\hbar/2[/itex], what would the new state be?
c) Do the same for [itex]S_x[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]
\vec{S} = \hbar/2 \vec{\sigma}, \qquad \sigma_x = \left(\begin{matrix} 0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{matrix}\right), \quad \sigma_y = \left(\begin{matrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{matrix}\right) , \quad \sigma_z = \left(\begin{matrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{matrix}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\chi = \alpha \chi_+ + \beta \chi_- = \left(\begin{matrix}\alpha \\ \beta \end{matrix}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\chi_+^{(z)} = \left(\begin{matrix} 1\\0 \end{matrix}\right), \qquad \chi_-^{(z)} = \left(\begin{matrix} 0\\1 \end{matrix}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\chi_+^{(x)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{matrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right), \qquad \chi_-^{(x)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\begin{matrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{matrix} \right)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) It seems to me that the the probabilities are

[tex]
P(\uparrow)_{z} = \left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\right)^2 = \frac{1}{3}
[/tex]

[tex]
P(\downarrow)_{z} = \left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\right)^2 = \frac{2}{3}
[/tex]

b) No idea

c) For the spin along the x direction,

[tex]
P(\uparrow)_{x} = \left\lvert\left(\chi\right)^\dagger \chi_+^{(x)}\right\rvert^2 = \left\lvert\left(\alpha \;\; \beta\right) \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\begin{matrix} 1\\1\end{matrix}\right)\right\rvert^2 = \left\lvert\frac{\alpha + \beta}{\sqrt{2}}\right\rvert^2 = \left\lvert \frac{\sqrt{1/3} + \sqrt{2/3}}{\sqrt{2}}\right\rvert^2 \approx .97
[/tex]

And similarly

[tex]
P(\downarrow)_{x} = \left\lvert\frac{\alpha - \beta}{\sqrt{2}}\right\rvert^2 = \left\lvert \frac{\sqrt{1/3}-\sqrt{2/3}}{\sqrt{2}}\right\rvert^2 \approx .03
[/tex]I am fairly certain that a) and c) are correct, however I am not sure about c). I mean.. I know that the state of the particle does change subsequent to a measurement, but how can I know what the new function is? Clearly it will still have the form

[tex]
\lvert \psi \rangle = \alpha \chi_+^{(z)} + \beta \chi_-^{(z)}
[/tex]

Or in some other basis, but how does it change exactly? More specifically, what are the new [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]?

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello IHateMayonnaise

(b) In case you did not understand what the question meant - You do not know the linear coefficients as in part (a) and you'll have to calculate them, given the expectation of Sz in this state.

(c) Its correct

Last edited:
graphene said:
Hello IHateMayonnaise

(b) In case you did not understand what the question meant - You do not know the linear coefficients as in part (a) and you'll have to calculate them, given the expectation of Sz in this state.

(c) Its correct

Thanks for the reply graphene.

I understand what b) is asking; I just don't know how to find the new coefficients.

so, [tex]\lvert \psi \rangle = R_{21} \left(c_1 Y_1^0 \chi_+ + c_2 Y_1^1 \chi_-\right)[/tex]

After operating [tex]S_z[/tex] on [tex]\lvert \psi \rangle[/tex], the sum of the squares of the coefficients is [tex]\hbar /2[/tex]. This is one equation for two variables, can you think of another equation that relates the coefficients.

so, [tex]\lvert \psi \rangle = R_{21} \left(c_1 Y_1^0 \chi_+ + c_2 Y_1^1 \chi_-\right)[/tex]

After operating [tex]S_z[/tex] on [tex]\lvert \psi \rangle[/tex], the sum of the squares of the coefficients is [tex]\hbar /2[/tex]. This is one equation for two variables, can you think of another equation that relates the coefficients.

IHateMayonnaise said:
Thanks for the reply graphene.

I understand what b) is asking; I just don't know how to find the new coefficients.
You make a measurement and get a result. What does performing a measurement do to the wave function? This is one of the postulates of quantum mechanics.

vela said:
You make a measurement and get a result. What does performing a measurement do to the wave function? This is one of the postulates of quantum mechanics.

It changes it; it collapses in according with the outcome of the measurement. In Schrodinger's cat speak, if our initial wave function is

[tex]
\lvert \psi \rangle = \alpha \lvert \psi \rangle_{\text{dead}} + \beta \lvert \psi \rangle_{\text{alive}}
[/tex]

Where we know that the cat has to be either dead or alive, so

[tex]
\lvert \alpha \rvert^2 + \lvert \beta \rvert^2 = 1
[/tex]

And when you open the box (kill the cat) the wave function "collapses" to whatever it is that you did to the cat. Let's say you killed the cat, then the collapsed wave function is

[tex]
\lvert \psi \rangle = (1) \lvert \psi \rangle_{\text{dead}}
[/tex]

But, and this is my question, is the wave function after this? Eg if I were going to make another observation of the cat that we just saw to be dead (actually, you killed it :)), how does this change the subsequent measurements? What are the new cat eigenfunctions?

As you said, the new state is [itex]|\psi\rangle_\mathrm{dead}[/itex], so if you were to look into the box again, you'd always find the cat is dead. There's no chance of finding the cat alive because the state has no component in the [itex]|\psi\rangle_\mathrm{alive}[/itex] direction.

vela said:
As you said, the new state is [itex]|\psi\rangle_\mathrm{dead}[/itex], so if you were to look into the box again, you'd always find the cat is dead. There's no chance of finding the cat alive because the state has no component in the [itex]|\psi\rangle_\mathrm{alive}[/itex] direction.

Perhaps my perception of QM is askew but my understanding was that this was not the case. If the cat were a particle and I happened to measure spin up, to me what you're saying is that it will always be spin up with certainty for subsequent measurements. This cannot be; if for no other reason Heisenberg's principle would be violated.

Yes, you will always find the spin to be up. (For simplicity, I'm assuming that spin-up is an energy eigenstate, so as the system evolves in time, it remains in that state.)

The uncertainty principle tells you about how pairs of non-commuting observables are related. You can make the uncertainty in one variable as small as you want, but that will mean the uncertainty in the other variable must grow larger.

If you think about it, you have the same situation with energy and time. You have the uncertainty principle for that pair that says [itex]\Delta E \Delta t \ge \hbar/2[/itex], yet according to the Schrodinger equation, the system will remain in an energy eigenstate as it evolves in time.

vela said:
Yes, you will always find the spin to be up. (For simplicity, I'm assuming that spin-up is an energy eigenstate, so as the system evolves in time, it remains in that state.)

The uncertainty principle tells you about how pairs of non-commuting observables are related. You can make the uncertainty in one variable as small as you want, but that will mean the uncertainty in the other variable must grow larger.

If you think about it, you have the same situation with energy and time. You have the uncertainty principle for that pair that says [itex]\Delta E \Delta t \ge \hbar/2[/itex], yet according to the Schrodinger equation, the system will remain in an energy eigenstate as it evolves in time.

Ah; silly silly me. Sort of like successive Stern-Gerlach apparatus. If the same observable is measured, it should return the same result. In this case the new state would be

[tex]
\lvert \psi \rangle = R_{21} Y_1^0 \chi_+
[/tex]

Is this correct? Anyway, later on in the problem (part c) it asks to do the same thing as in

However, the problem asks to do the same thing for Sx. For this, being after the original measurement of Sz with a result of [itex]\hbar/2[/itex], would my part c) still be correct?

Thanks for all your help!

IHateMayonnaise said:
Ah; silly silly me. Sort of like successive Stern-Gerlach apparatus. If the same observable is measured, it should return the same result. In this case the new state would be[tex]
\lvert \psi \rangle = R_{21} Y_1^0 \chi_+
[/tex]

Is this correct?
Yes.
Anyway, later on in the problem (part c) it asks to do the same thing as in

However, the problem asks to do the same thing for Sx. For this, being after the original measurement of Sz with a result of [itex]\hbar/2[/itex], would my part c) still be correct?

Thanks for all your help!
I think the question is asking you to do the same thing using Sx starting from the same initial state, not the state after the measurement of Sz.

If my interpretation is the correct one, the work you have up there is fine. If you want to do it the other way, just do the same thing using the state after wave function collapse in your calculations.

Related to New state function after measurement

1. What is a state function?

A state function is a property of a system that depends only on its current state, and not on how the system arrived at that state. Examples include temperature, pressure, and energy.

2. How does measurement affect a state function?

Measurement does not affect a state function. The value of a state function remains the same regardless of whether or not it is measured.

3. What happens to a state function after measurement?

After measurement, the state function remains the same. However, the act of measurement alters the state of the system, potentially changing the values of other state functions.

4. Can a state function be measured directly?

No, state functions cannot be measured directly. They are inferred from other measurable quantities, such as changes in temperature or pressure.

5. Why is understanding state functions important in science?

State functions are important in science because they allow us to describe and analyze systems in a consistent and reliable manner. They also help us make predictions about how a system will behave under different conditions.