New to induction, stuck on a proof and i need some help

In summary, the conversation is about a proof that 3 divides n^3-7n+3 for all integers n greater than or equal to 0. One person is trying to prove it using induction and is stuck, while another person suggests multiplying out the expression and looking for a factor of 3. The original poster then realizes their mistake and continues with the proof. Another person suggests a different approach using the product of three consecutive integers and the fact that 3(n-1) is always divisible by 3. Finally, a fourth person presents their own proof using algebraic manipulation and the properties of divisibility.
johnnyICON
I am trying to prove that 3 divides [tex]n^3~-7n+3[/tex] for all integers n greater than or equal to 0.

I have gotten to this point:
[tex]3|(k~+~1)^3~-~7(k~+~1)~+~3[/tex]
Where I try to show that is true for k+1. I have been scribbling on scrap paper trying to figure it out. I've expanded the expression countless times no avail.
Could someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about multiplying out (k+1)3- 7(k+1)+ 3?
Part of it, of course, will be k3-7k+ 3 which you know, by the "induction hypothesis", is divisible by 3: k3- 7k+ 3= 3n for some integer n. What is the rest? Can you factor a "3" out of it?

Consider n^3-7n+3= n^3-n-6n+3=n(n^2-1)-3(2n-1)=(n-1)n(n+1)-3(2n-1). You just need to prove (by induction) that the product of three consecutive integers ((n-1)n(n+1)) is always divisible by 3 since 3(2n-1) is divisible by 3.

HallsofIvy said:
How about multiplying out (k+1)3- 7(k+1)+ 3?
Part of it, of course, will be k3-7k+ 3 which you know, by the "induction hypothesis", is divisible by 3: k3- 7k+ 3= 3n for some integer n. What is the rest? Can you factor a "3" out of it?

Ahhh, I didn't notice that when I was expanding out. The k's threw me off :(
Question: You expanded -7(k+1). Where is the -7?

[tex][(k+1)^3-7k+3]-7[/tex]
The equation within the brackets is divisible by 3, but -7 is not. I really like this approach because this is more of how I would try to solve the problem. The -7 doesn't make sense though. Maybe I missed something in your explanation.

Thanks for the help.

LittleWolf said:
Consider n^3-7n+3= n^3-n-6n+3=n(n^2-1)-3(2n-1)=(n-1)n(n+1)-3(2n-1). You just need to prove (by induction) that the product of three consecutive integers ((n-1)n(n+1)) is always divisible by 3 since 3(2n-1) is divisible by 3.

Awesome. This makes sense. I wonder how you are able to see these things right away. Must take a lot of practice to be able to play around with terms that easily. I'll probably give this one a shot, I just feel like I didn't do any work :( Thanks for the help though. :D

johnnyICON said:
[tex][(k+1)^3-7k+3]-7[/tex]
The equation within the brackets is divisible by 3, but -7 is not.
Recheck that. The part within brackets is not divisible by 3. You must multiply out the cubic term and keep only the k^3 part within the brackets. The rest go outside, by the "-7".

Gokul43201 said:
Recheck that. The part within brackets is not divisible by 3. You must multiply out the cubic term and keep only the k^3 part within the brackets. The rest go outside, by the "-7".

Isn't it though? By the induction hypothesis I am assuming that P(n) is true, that is 3 divides n3-7k+3 where n is just k+1.

Whoops, ignore my previous post. :D

I have an easy prove for you, but is not quite sure if I'm making an illegal conclusion (I have not learned about induction yet). Take a look:

First I asume that 3|(n^3 - 7n + 3) is true. Then I try to prove that 3|((n+1)^3 - 7(n+1) + 3) is also true...

I do this by expanding the expresion to:
n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1 - 7n - 7 + 3

And move the terms around:
(n^3 - 7n + 3) + (3n^2 + 3n + 1 - 7)

And at last simplify it:
(n^3 - 7n + 3) + (3n^2 + 3n - 6)
(n^3 - 7n + 3) + 3*(n^2 + n - 2)

Since 3*(n^2 + n - 2) is divisible with 3, I have proven that if 3|(n^3 - 7n + 3) is true, then 3|((n+1)^3 - 7(n+1) + 3) is also true! I guess that is what induction is all about?

if n^3-7n+3 is divisible by 3 then isn't
n^3-7n is divisible by 3?

n^3-7n= n(n^2-7)
if n is not divisible by 3, then n^2-7 must. when 3 is in, n^2-7 is never divisible by 3, always a remainder of 2. n^2-7= n^2-4-3

(n-2)(n+2)-3 must be divisible by 3 when n is not divisible by 3.
the three at the end cancels because we know that if k is divisible by 3, then so is k-3.
(n-2)(n+2) must be divisible by 3.
If n has a remainder of 1, like 4, then n+2 must be divisible by 3. If n has a remainder of 2, then (n-2) must be divisible by 3. And the maximum remainder you could possibly have is 2.

Last edited:

Related to New to induction, stuck on a proof and i need some help

1. How do I start a proof using induction?

To start a proof using induction, you must first state the base case, or the statement that you want to prove for the smallest value of n. Then, you must state the inductive hypothesis, which assumes that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n. Finally, you must state the inductive step, which proves that the statement is true for n+1 using the inductive hypothesis.

2. How do I know if I should use strong or weak induction?

Strong induction is used when the inductive step requires the truth of multiple previous cases, while weak induction only requires the truth of the immediately preceding case. If the statement you are trying to prove is of the form "for all n greater than or equal to a certain value", then strong induction is usually the appropriate method.

3. What is the difference between a base case and an edge case?

A base case is the smallest or simplest value for which the statement must hold true. An edge case, on the other hand, is a special or extreme case that may require different considerations or approaches in the proof. Both base cases and edge cases are important to consider when using induction.

4. How do I know if my proof by induction is correct?

To check the correctness of your proof by induction, you can try substituting different values for n and see if the statement holds true for each value. You can also try working through the proof step by step to see if each part is logically sound. Additionally, you can consult with a fellow mathematician or instructor for feedback on your proof.

5. Can I use induction to prove any statement?

No, induction can only be used to prove statements that follow a specific pattern or structure. It is not applicable to all mathematical statements. It is important to carefully consider the statement and its structure before attempting to use induction as a proof method.