New to Physics? Exploring the Speed of Light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object's mass and energy increasing as it approaches the speed of light, with c being considered a universal speed limit. This is due to the formula for total energy, which shows that as the speed approaches c, the energy approaches infinity. The conversation ends by thanking the expert for their explanation.
km90
I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this question has already been asked. Also forgive me if this is a seemingly simple question, as I am just now starting my undergrad and am relatively new to a lot of physics topics.

I understand that it is generally considered that anything with an intrinsic mass cannot travel at the speed of light. As an object's speed comes closer to c, its mass (and so kinetic energy) increases and it is therefore harder to accelerate it to a speed even closer to c. I understand that traveling at c would give the object an infinite mass and an infinite energy of motion and thus such travel is not allowed. However, how can the object have a finite mass and finite energy while approaching a finite number (c), only to have an infinite mass and an infinite energy when it finally gets there? What makes c so special?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of c as a universal speed limit. The total energy of a particle as a function of its speed is given by:

[tex]E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

So, while the speed remains finite, the total energy of a particle approaches infinity as v approaches c.

Last edited:
Ah, fantastic. Thanks a lot.

Related to New to Physics? Exploring the Speed of Light

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is the fastest speed at which all forms of matter and energy can travel.

2. How was the speed of light first measured?

The speed of light was first accurately measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676 using observations of the moons of Jupiter. He noticed that the moons appeared to orbit the planet at different times depending on the position of Earth in its orbit, and he used this information to calculate the speed of light.

3. How does the speed of light affect our daily lives?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to see objects and colors, as light travels from the object to our eyes. It also allows us to communicate through technologies such as fiber optics and wireless communication. The speed of light also affects our understanding of time and space, as it is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity.

4. Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, the speed of light is constant in a vacuum. This means that no matter who measures the speed of light, or how fast the observer is moving, the speed of light will always be the same. This is one of the fundamental principles of Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Therefore, it is considered impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.