Where Can I Find Resources for Learning Linear and Abstract Algebra?

• Thread starter derek.basler
  • Start date
In summary, an expert summarizer of this conversation would say that the person is interested in mathematics and is studying pre-calculus honors. They would also say that they would like to learn Linear Algebra and Abstract Algebra and recommends a few texts.
derek.basler
Well, first of all I'm extremely interested in math. I'm a junior in high school right now and I am taking the highest math i can for my grade, which is pre-calculus honors and I am also teaching myself single variable calculus. I have read some of Road to Reality by Roger Penrose, which teaches some pretty funky math, but i would really like to learn Linear and Abstract Algebra. Does anyone know of a site or a book that could really give me a good introduction to this kind of math? thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear Algebra is an excellent way to learn mathematical proof, as most of the proofs are relatively straightforward applications of the definitions (ie., compared to analysis or number theory). Some courses focus mostly on matrix methods, while others are more abstract. Both viewpoints are good to know. For the abstract viewpoint, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler is an easy introduction to the subject. As long as you have been introduced to vectors, any readable text on matrix algebra should be fine. To get a more general view of modern algebra, Michael Artin's "Algebra" is a natural follow-up to Axler's linear algebra text.
By the way, once you've completed about half of Sheldon's text, you should easily be able to tackle vector calculus. A nice text with lots of applied examples and proper theory is "Vector Calculus, Linear algebra, and Differential Forms" by Hubbard/Hubbard. After the first 3 chapters, you should be able to tackle Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds", which will introduce you to the language of differential geometry. At some point during this, you may also want to check out texts on basic real analysis, complex analysis, and topology to round out the mathematics needed for a good understanding of the rest of that book. After Spivak and a good text on topology, texts on differential geometry and differential topology should be accessible.
Hopefully, you will also have a professor's help in your studies, as experience is invaluable.

Last edited:
wow that's a good amount of reading. Thank you! what i really hope to get out of this is the ability to write a good proof and understand why stuff works. Its odd because i used to hate proofs in geometry freshman year, but now i really want to learn to write some. I always wonder why stuff works in math, and I tend not to give up until i understand. So I will look up a few of those books, and if anyone else has any others thatd be cool. thank you again!

1. What is the best way to approach learning new math concepts?

The best way to approach learning new math concepts is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Make sure you understand the fundamental principles and formulas before moving on to more complex topics. Practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Improving problem-solving skills in math requires practice and patience. Start by breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use different strategies and techniques to solve the problem. Also, focus on understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

3. Is it necessary to memorize all the formulas in math?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all the formulas in math. It is important to understand the concepts and principles behind the formulas and how they are derived. With practice, you will become more familiar with the formulas and will be able to use them more easily.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning new math concepts?

Staying motivated while learning new math concepts can be challenging, but it is important to remember your end goal and the reasons why you are learning math. Set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. Also, try to make connections between the math concepts and real-life applications to stay engaged and motivated.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with learning new math concepts?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help with learning new math concepts. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MathisFUN, and Wolfram MathWorld. These websites offer interactive lessons, practice problems, and explanations of various math concepts. You can also find helpful videos and tutorials on YouTube.