Is the temperature of a lake related to the growth of its inhabitants?

• Thread starter JWHooper
  • Start date
In summary, JW is a new member of the physics forum and is a high school student taking physics classes. They plan on seeking help and posting necessary topics in the forum. They also mention having goldfish as their favorite fish. The conversation includes welcoming messages and jokes about frozen flounder and goldfish. The other members also mention the diversity and intelligence of the forum, and JW is encouraged to stay and participate. Despite a high mortality rate of new members, JW seems to have survived the initial welcome.
Hey... if you can catch it, I'll smack you with it. Since I'm not allowed across the border, you have to deal with the procurement yourself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I caught two pike last weekend up at the lake...I got a few pics of one of them...but pike have evil teeth, one of them put a hole in my neighbors finger.

I used to catch pike on vacation. They certainly are nasty little things, and they fight way out of proportion to their size. Even worse than the teeth, I found, are the spines. I'm surprised that I still have all of my fingers after the number of times that I was punctured by those.

Better switch to guppies then.

What would you say is the average stay on PF? Or what is the average user post count? You don't often see people over 1,000 a lot of the time it's just 5' and 10's.

_Mayday_ said:
What would you say is the average stay on PF? Or what is the average user post count? You don't often see people over 1,000 a lot of the time it's just 5' and 10's.

From the front page, there's an average of about 17 posts per user (1,486,992 posts, 86,665 users). Most of the time people will only join to ask a single question they can't find anywhere else on the web and thus only have a few posts to their name. I imagine for these people, they need a good grade in physics but it is not their main interest, hence they never return.

I don't know what the average period of activity is.

I first came here because it was the first site to come up when I typed in "Physics Forum" and only came for a short stay, but haven't left yet...

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9499/welcome38gk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Erm...how?

Danger said:
Likewise, I'm sure. :wink:

I think that we should institute a new tradition around here. Someone who survives the fish-smack welcoming ceremony and continues to associate with us should get a guilded fish plaque. Now, since JW's chosen species was a goldfish, we can dispense with the guilding part and just glue it to a chunk of wood. (If it takes more than a day or so to mail it to him/her, we should probably spray on some varnish or something...)

I'm a "him", just an reminder.

Hmm... I would choose a chipboard.

_Mayday_ said:
^ Erm...how?

Image tags. Linking to an image hosted elsewhere.

_Mayday_ said:

Remember as well that GD posts aren't counted. That makes a tremendous difference for people who hang out here a lot.

^ What a shame that is, I'm sure I would be close to 500. It's better that these posts don't count though.

_Mayday_ said:
^ What a shame that is, I'm sure I would be close to 500. It's better that these posts don't count though.

I think that if we counted GD posts, some peoples post counts would be so big that they would use up all the server memory and crash PF!:rolleyes:

100,000...maybe? Who has the Record for the most posts here on PF?

_Mayday_ said:
100,000...maybe? Who has the Record for the most posts here on PF?

HallsofIvy I think with over 16,000 so far, followed by Doc Al at over 15,000.

Danger, you must be thinking of something else. Like bluegill, they have spines and fight quite a bit. But pike don't have any really bad spines on them and they fight about proprtionate to their large size.

GD post don't count? Darn!

I probably used the term 'spines' incorrectly. I'm talking about the bones in their fins. I don't even know what a bluegill looks like, but I'm pretty sure that they don't exist in northern Ontario lakes. The biggest pike that I ever caught was probably about a kilo, but even the smaller ones put up more resistance than a 5 kg sheepshead.

DO NOT SAY WHALE SHARK

http://www.zoozoo2.com/dawnrider/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/whale-shark-with-fish.jpg

Despite it's name it is actually a fish :eek:

hey this thread seems as good a place as any to ask, not really worth starting another thread over.

How do you inlay an image like that in your post?

There are two ways

First plug the link of the image into Link to image

Secondly if you 'go advanced' when writing a post you will see a little image of a mountain with a yellow background click on that and pop the link into it. =]

Danger said:
I probably used the term 'spines' incorrectly. I'm talking about the bones in their fins. I don't even know what a bluegill looks like, but I'm pretty sure that they don't exist in northern Ontario lakes. The biggest pike that I ever caught was probably about a kilo, but even the smaller ones put up more resistance than a 5 kg sheepshead.
Come to Maine and fish the middle reaches of the Kennebec River for Rainbow trout. Pound-for-pound they put up more fight than any other fish around here - alternately jumping and thrashing and diving and using the river's current to pull away. If you're expecting landlocked salmon and you've got your drag set for them (or if like me, you only fly fish with a reel with modest drag) be prepared to have your line stripped when you hook up with a healthy rainbow. I've had my knuckles hammered trying to slow a big rainbow with a conventional fly reel. For fight in salmonids, the nod goes to rainbows, wild brookies, landlocked salmon, stocked brookies (often splake) and brown trout in that order.

BTW, if you want to experience some pain, grab a yellow perch from back to front. Their dorsal fins are very sharp and I swear that their plentiful dorsal spines have some kind of very irritating anticoagulant in or on them. Ouch!

Last edited:
ok cool thanks. Also I've been using PF for a while now but not sure what some things mean...

When your in the index/homepage and look at the subfirums there is an image next to them which is either green or grey. What do the colours mean?

And when a thread title is in boldtype what does that mean?

AND...lol, i just helped a kid with a h/w question in "? Domain and range ?" are homework helpers supposed to do this or is it k that i have? I only just finished high school.

A green forum means that someone has posted since you last logged in. Grey means that no new posts have been made. Same with the bold threads.

Anyone can help out in the homework help forums.

||spoon|| said:
When your in the index/homepage and look at the subfirums there is an image next to them which is either green or grey. What do the colours mean?
Green means there are new threads in the forum, gray means no new threads since you last read the forum (sometimes this isn't quite true...there's some glitch that seems to leave the colors rather random some days).

And when a thread title is in boldtype what does that mean?
There are new replies in it since the last time you read it (or you haven't read it at all yet).

AND...lol, i just helped a kid with a h/w question in "? Domain and range ?" are homework helpers supposed to do this or is it k that i have? I only just finished high school.

You can offer help if you are able to do so, just don't GIVE them answers (tips, hints, explanations of concepts are okay, solving the problem for them isn't), and if you aren't sure of yourself, it's best to either not answer or tell them straight up you're still a student and could be wrong too, just trying to help with what you remember. We don't want someone misled with wrong advice. The HW Helpers get nominated to that position AFTER they've been helping a while and have proven themselves.

Danger, the larger of the two pike I caught was about 9 or ten pounds. Pike are long and greenish with a large, almost shovel-like lower jaw. Both of these were about 20 to 24 inches in length.

turbo-1 said:
Come to Maine and fish the middle reaches of the Kennebec River for Rainbow trout.
Turbo, I live on the north bank of the Bow River. You can't take a piss off of the bridge without getting something in a trout's eye. I don't fish any more, though, and never did river-fish. I would gladly take you up on the offer, though, but for that minor detail of not being allowed in your country.
Binzing, the things that I was catching were most assuredly pike. Environmental conditions might limit their growth where I was (Clayton Lake in the Ottawa valley), but anything over a foot long was either a pickeral or a walleye. Pike just never got that big.
The perch were home-bound (although I did catch one in Clayton Lake by accident). I lived on the south shore of Lake Erie. Throw your line in and reel it back up. There'd be either a perch or a rock bass stuck to it by the time it cleared the water.

Hmm, maybe the lake temperature and food supply affected their growth. The local river here (I live within a 5 minute walk from some good holes) the San Juan, is famous for its fishing, especially flyfishing. The term "San Juan Shuffle" was even coined here for the action of purposefully stomping around while wading, and then having trout swim really close, if not between your legs.

binzing said:
Hmm, maybe the lake temperature and food supply affected their growth.
I suspect that to be the case. Even on the hottest days of summer, that lake was way too cold to swim in.