How can I calculate the force required to compress a spring in a given distance?

In summary, the man could jump 35.4 meters high without breaking his bone if he jumped at a speed of 28800 meters per hour.
Brunno

Homework Statement

There's a question that i tried to solve in a "Newtonian way",but i could only solve it using the concept of energy:

supposing that the human bone only tolarates a force of 48.000 N without braking.Calculate the maximum hight H from where a man could jump and the bone wouldn't break,suposing that when his feet touchs the ground your knees bend itself and he decends 0.6meters.
Is given the man' weight:80Kg.

Homework Equations

W= F.d = 48000.06=28800J

W = W' --> 28800 = mgH

28800 = 80.10.H

H = 36

H' = 36 - 0,6 = 35,4m

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I agree that energy is the easier way here.
To solve this "Newtonically" you will probably have to work in the falling and impact times somewhere, and then get rid of them again :)

I did get to the answer, I will just outline the steps:

Force is change of momentum, right? Technically, F = dp/dt, but over a time interval t with average momentum pavg, F = pavg / t.
So
[tex]F = \frac{\tfrac{1}{2} m v}{t}[/tex] (*)
where v is the velocity of impact (final velocity is 0) and t is the compression time of the backbone.
You can find this velocity
[tex]v = h / \tau[/tex], (**)
where [itex]\tau[/itex] (the time from start of fall until the beginning of impact) can be eliminated in favo(u)r of h and g using
[tex]h = \tfrac{1}{2} g \tau^2[/tex] (***)

If you plug (***) into both (**) and (*) and cancel, you will obtain the expression
[tex]F = \frac{m g h}{d},[/tex]
which is of course precisely the energy equation W = F s. Solving for the height h is now a piece of cake.

Hi,
Pluging the way was said what i found was this:

v = g.T/2F = (1/2.m.v)/t = m.g.T/4/t = m.g.T/4.t and not :F = mgh/d :(Certainly there's something that i couldn't get right.What would it be?

No one?:confused:

:rolleyes:

Sorry I was away for a few days.
If you rewrite (***) to [itex]\tau = \sqrt{2h / g}[/itex] then (**) becomes
[tex]v = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2h/g}} = \frac{\sqrt{h g}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Therefore
[tex]F = \frac{m \sqrt{g h}}{2\sqrt{2} t}[/tex]
and of course for the compression time,
[tex]t = \frac{d}{v} = \frac{d \sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{h g}}[/tex]
so you get
[tex]F = \frac{m g h}{4 d}[/tex]

I will leave it up to you to get the factors of 2 right (look carefully which quantities are averages between an initial value and 0 or between 0 and a final value).

1. What is Newtonian application?

Newtonian application refers to the practical use and application of Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion and gravity. These laws explain the behavior of objects in motion and are fundamental to the study of classical mechanics.

2. What are the three laws of motion in Newtonian application?

The three laws of motion in Newtonian application are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How is Newtonian application used in everyday life?

Newtonian application is used in various aspects of everyday life, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. It is also crucial in designing and building structures and machines, understanding the movement of planets and other celestial bodies, and even in sports and games.

4. What is the difference between Newtonian application and Einstein's theory of relativity?

The main difference between Newtonian application and Einstein's theory of relativity is in their scope of application. Newtonian application is limited to the study of objects in everyday life and at low speeds, while Einstein's theory of relativity applies to objects at high speeds and in extreme circumstances, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. How has Newtonian application impacted the field of science?

Newtonian application has had a significant impact on the field of science, particularly in the development of classical mechanics and the understanding of motion and gravity. It has also paved the way for further advancements in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, and has influenced other fields such as engineering and astronomy.