Newtonian (Classical) Physics Course: Best way to Prepare for it?

In summary, a new forum member is seeking advice on preparing for a physics course they will be taking after a long break. They have some questions about the general flow of the course and how it differs from a previous chemistry course. Other members advise focusing on understanding concepts rather than memorizing formulas and brushing up on basic algebra skills. The course is calculus-based, but a basic understanding of calculus is sufficient for solving problems.
abrantes123
Hello all,

First and foremost, I want to apologize if I am posting in the wrong area. Please inform me if so.

I am new to the forums (hence my first post), and will be doing my first Physics course this winter (starts after New Years) since 2002. I really need to do well, and I have the time and will power to do it.

A series of questions...

1. From your experience, what will be the general flow of the class? I realize that for each class and teacher, the course direction will usually vary, but is there a general flow that can be anticipated for me to encounter? (i.e., could I get a "head start" and start focusing on the beginning stuff?)

2. I just finished taking a General Chemistry course, which is one of the hardest classes taken at the University I am attending, and was able to do very well. To what extent does Chemistry and the study habits needed for its success differ from Physics and the study habits needed for it? (i.e., is there a sea of formulas that Physics students need to memorize, or are formulas usually given in the problems and the work of the student is to find out where the information fits into the equation?)

Thank you,

a123

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to your question #2 at least, the skills required for chemistry and physics would be a lot more similar to each other than either one would be to something like English or history. Basically it's about learning concepts and applying them. There are some equations that you'll have to memorize, of course, but not that many; the main skill is to be able to apply the concepts and equations to the problems. (And actually, in some introductory physics courses which are designed to be easier on the students, you may get a reference sheet with the equations)

Do yourself a favour and instead of memorizing formulas or simply looking for the right formula to solve the problem think about what's actually going on and think about which relationship corresponds to what you're looking to solve and apply it.

Remember, physics isn't about memorizing a set of formulas and simplying plugging numbers in.

If you have not used your basic algebra in a while, and this physics course is not entitled "Physics for Poets", please brush up. Your teacher might ask for an answer in the form of variables and my experience with chemistry is they like numbers. As they should.

Agreed with the posters on the learning the ideas first. The math will fit very nicely then. In Physics you can ask quite a few different questions over one particular situation, and if you don't understand the ideas, the plug and chug will be difficult as you will not know how to even begin a problem. The plug and chug really comes after the real physics has been done and the problem is basically finished.

Is the class calculus based?

Last edited:
Yeah, the class is calculus-based. This leads me to another question, as to how much calculus I will need to remember? (I took AP Calc. my senior year in H.S., 2005. I remember basic derivatives, etc. but will I need to know more?)

Thanks SO much guys. Keep it coming :)

In the physics courses I was in, the emphasis wasn't on more so the calculus part but rather the physics part. You do need an "basic" understanding of calculus for physics, but at the end of the day it is a physics course not a calculus course.

For the most part you should only be dealing with standard ideal cases of derivatives and integrals.

Sounds good buddy! Thanks again.

1. What is Newtonian (Classical) Physics?

Newtonian (Classical) Physics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as cars, planets, and tennis balls. It is based on Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation and is widely used to understand and predict the physical phenomena in the world around us.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking a Newtonian (Classical) Physics course?

The prerequisites for taking a Newtonian (Classical) Physics course typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, and a basic understanding of concepts in mechanics and kinematics. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of basic algebra and trigonometry.

3. What are the key topics covered in a Newtonian (Classical) Physics course?

A Newtonian (Classical) Physics course typically covers topics such as Newton's laws of motion, forces, energy, momentum, circular motion, gravitation, and oscillations. It also includes topics in thermodynamics, such as heat and temperature, and topics in fluid mechanics, such as pressure and buoyancy.

4. What is the best way to prepare for a Newtonian (Classical) Physics course?

The best way to prepare for a Newtonian (Classical) Physics course is to have a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to gain a better understanding of the concepts. Additionally, reviewing and familiarizing yourself with Newton's laws of motion and basic kinematics can also be beneficial.

5. What career paths can a Newtonian (Classical) Physics course lead to?

A Newtonian (Classical) Physics course can lead to a variety of career paths in fields such as engineering, astronomy, mechanics, and research. It can also provide a strong foundation for further studies in physics, such as pursuing a degree in physics or a related field. Additionally, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from studying Newtonian (Classical) Physics can be applied to various industries and careers.