Newtonian & Einstein Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper due in AP Physics that requires a comparison and explanation of Newtonian and Einstein Physics and their contributions to Quantum mechanics. The person seeking help mentions their understanding of the 4th dimension and how Einstein's general relativity and Newton's model differ. A contributor suggests starting with a paradox in Newtonian mechanics that is resolved by Einstein's mechanics, which states that speed is relative and not absolute. The contributor also recommends watching NOVA's "The Elegant Universe" for further understanding, but notes that some reading will still be necessary. The person seeking help apologizes for any offense and thanks the contributor for their help.
usnpilot2012

Homework Statement

I have a paper due Friday in ap Physics and i can't seem to find anything on the subject that doesn't involve reading an entire textbook. Ok so we first must compare/contrast Newtonian & Einstein Physics, then explain their contributions to Quantum mechanics.

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know about the 4th dimension, and that somehow Einstein's general relativity and Newtons model somehow are different. any help would be great i love physics but unfortuanately my teacher is a better babysitter than teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to be careful about insulting your teacher - many of us contributors are physics teachers!

Maybe you could start with this: If a ship was traveling 300 million meters per second, and shined a flashlight beam out in front (light travels at 300 million m/s) then Newtonian mechanics says the "absolute" speed of the light beam would be 300 + 300 = 600 million m/s. But light never travels faster than 300 million m/s. Einstein's mechanics resolved this paradox. One of the results, for example, says that there is no such thing as an "absolute" speed; speed always depends on who's measuring.

NOVA has an online show called "The Elegant Universe" and the first couple chapters have some good comparisons between Newt and Ein.

To get any better than that, you will need to read a lot. Maybe not an entire textbook, but at least get your intro textbook and read the sections on Relativity and Quantum.

merryjman said:
NOVA has an online show called "The Elegant Universe" and the first couple chapters have some good comparisons between Newt and Ein.

You can watch it here.

sorry i didn't mean to insult him i just get upset when my potential is thwarted, especially since i love physics

thanks for the help. =)

1. What is the difference between Newtonian and Einstein Quantum Mechanics?

Newtonian mechanics is a classical theory of physics that describes the motion of objects in the macroscopic world. It is based on three laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. On the other hand, Einstein's quantum mechanics is a modern theory that explains the behavior of particles on the microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It includes the principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty principle, which are not accounted for in Newtonian mechanics.

2. Can Newtonian mechanics and Einstein quantum mechanics be used together?

Yes, they can be used together in certain situations. Newtonian mechanics is a good approximation for macroscopic objects, while Einstein quantum mechanics is more accurate for microscopic objects. These two theories have been successfully combined in theories such as quantum field theory, which describes the behavior of particles on both the macroscopic and microscopic level.

3. What is the role of gravity in Newtonian and Einstein quantum mechanics?

In Newtonian mechanics, gravity is described as a force that acts between objects with mass. This force follows the inverse square law and is responsible for the motion of objects in the macroscopic world. In Einstein's quantum mechanics, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This theory is known as general relativity and it explains the behavior of gravity on both macroscopic and microscopic scales.

4. How do Newtonian and Einstein quantum mechanics explain the behavior of light?

In Newtonian mechanics, light is described as a wave, and its behavior can be explained using the laws of optics. However, Einstein's quantum mechanics introduced the concept of photons, which are discrete packets of energy that make up light. This theory also explains phenomena such as the photoelectric effect and the dual nature of light as both a particle and a wave.

5. Are there any limitations to Newtonian and Einstein quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to both theories. Newtonian mechanics cannot fully explain the behavior of particles on the microscopic level, while Einstein's quantum mechanics cannot fully explain the behavior of gravity in extreme conditions, such as near black holes. These limitations have led to the development of new theories, such as quantum field theory and string theory, which aim to unify and improve upon both Newtonian and Einstein quantum mechanics.