Solving Newtonian Problems: Deciding When to Use + or - 9.8

• Thread starter 7tongc5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newtonian
In summary, Newtonian physics, also known as classical mechanics, describes the motion of objects and systems using Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. When solving Newtonian problems, +9.8 is used to represent the acceleration due to gravity when an object is moving towards the center of the Earth, while -9.8 is used when an object is moving away from the center of the Earth. This is based on the direction of the gravitational force acting on the object. You can determine which value to use by considering the direction of the object's motion and the direction of the gravitational force. In some cases, a different value for acceleration due to gravity may be used, depending on the location and mass of the objects
7tongc5
ex) you throw a baseball straght up. I returns after 3.5 sec. How fast did you throw it?

i could then use x = x(initial) + v(initial)*3.5s + 1/2(-9.8)(3.5^2) and solve for initial velocity which comes out to be 17.5m/s.

in this problem, 9.8 was negative and in some other problems, 9.8 was positive. how do i decide when to set 9.8 + or -?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how you define your coordinate system for the problem. It really does not make any difference as long as you are consistent.

In Newtonian physics, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is typically represented as a constant value of -9.8 m/s^2. This means that all objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same acceleration towards the ground when dropped or thrown.

In the problem given, the baseball was thrown straight up and then returned after 3.5 seconds. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity acted in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, resulting in a negative value of 9.8 in the equation.

However, in some other problems, the acceleration due to gravity may act in the same direction as the initial velocity, resulting in a positive value of 9.8 in the equation. For example, if the object was thrown straight down, the acceleration due to gravity and the initial velocity would both act in the same direction, resulting in a positive value for 9.8.

In general, when solving Newtonian problems, it is important to consider the direction of the acceleration due to gravity in relation to the initial velocity of the object. If they act in opposite directions, the value for 9.8 should be negative, and if they act in the same direction, the value for 9.8 should be positive. This will ensure that the correct calculations are made and the problem is solved accurately.

1. What is Newtonian physics?

Newtonian physics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that describes the motion of objects and systems using Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. When do I use +9.8 and when do I use -9.8 in Newtonian problems?

+9.8 is used to represent the acceleration due to gravity when an object is moving towards the center of the Earth, while -9.8 is used when an object is moving away from the center of the Earth. This is based on the direction of the gravitational force acting on the object.

3. How do I decide when to use + or -9.8 in a problem?

You can determine whether to use +9.8 or -9.8 by considering the direction of the object's motion and the direction of the gravitational force acting on the object. If the object is moving towards the center of the Earth, use +9.8. If it is moving away from the center of the Earth, use -9.8.

4. Can I use a different value for acceleration due to gravity in Newtonian problems?

Yes, the value of acceleration due to gravity can vary depending on the location and mass of the objects involved. For example, on Earth, the value is approximately 9.8 m/s², but on other planets or in space, it may be different.

5. Is Newtonian physics still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Newtonian physics is still widely used in modern science and engineering, particularly for describing the motion of macroscopic objects. However, it is not applicable in extreme conditions such as at the atomic or subatomic level, where quantum mechanics must be used.