1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons 2nd Law just need to get started

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    Problem : A car is to tow a 2,270kg truck with a rope. How strong should the rope be so that it will not break when accelerating the truck from rest to 3.00 m/s in 12.0 seconds?

So I assume it wants me to find the tension?...but the 12 seconds is throwing me off....I'm not sure what that has to do with anything if sum of the forces = ma (F=ma)...so where does the time come into play...?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2
    You can use the time to find the acceleration. You have the initial and final velocity there if you noticed.
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    ahh silly me...i was fooled by the word 'accelerating' and thought the acceleration was 3.00 m/s...i should have noticed it wasn't even in the right units to be acceleration....ok, i have the initial velocity and final...thanks for the jump start i needed
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?