Newton's law of universal gravitation

In summary: Me/X^2 = Mm/(R-x)^2so cross multiply, MeMm=X^2*(r-x)^2In summary, the conversation discusses finding a point between the Earth and the moon where the net gravitational force on an object is zero. The formula Fge=Fgm is used to set up the equation GMeM/x^2 = GMmM/(r-x)^2, where p represents the point and x represents the radius of the Earth. The attempt at solving the problem involves rearranging the equation to find r, resulting in the equation MeMm = x^2*(r-x)^2. However, it is pointed out that this is incorrect and the correct equation is Me(r-x
wow22

Homework Statement

is there a point between the Earth and the moon for which the net gravitational force on an object is zero? Where is this point located? Note that the mass of the Earth is 5.98x10^24 kg, the mass of the moon is 7.35x10^22kg, and the distance between the centres of Earth and moon is 3.84x10^8m.

Homework Equations

Fge=Fgm

so GMeMp/x^2 = GMmMp/(r-x)^2
p being the point, x being the radius of earth

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to rearrange...to find r. and got MeMm=x^2*(r-x)^2 ?
so that means 5.98*10^24(7.35*10^22)= x^2(3.84*10^8-x)^2 ??

Can someone tell me how to rearrange it, cause it's supposed to be rearraned to Mm/Me(x^2)=R^2-2r+x^2 ... Thanks!

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
wow22 said:

Homework Statement

is there a point between the Earth and the moon for which the net gravitational force on an object is zero? Where is this point located? Note that the mass of the Earth is 5.98x10^24 kg, the mass of the moon is 7.35x10^22kg, and the distance between the centres of Earth and moon is 3.84x10^8m.

Homework Equations

Fge=Fgm

so GMeMp/x^2 = GMmMp/(r-x)^2
p being the point, x being the radius of earth

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to rearrange...to find r. and got MeMm=x^2*(r-x)^2 ?
so that means 5.98*10^24(7.35*10^22)= x^2(3.84*10^8-x)^2 ??

Can someone tell me how to rearrange it, cause it's supposed to be rearraned to Mm/Me(x^2)=R^2-2r+x^2 ... Thanks!
How did you ever get MeMm=x2*(r-x)2

from GMeMp/x2 = GMmMp/(r-x)2

?

GMp crosses out both sides.. to make Me/X^2 = Mm/(R-x)^2
so cross multiply, MeMm=X^2*(r-x)^2

..why? how was i supposed to do it?

wow22 said:
GMp crosses out both sides.. to make Me/X^2 = Mm/(R-x)^2
so cross multiply, MeMm=X^2*(r-x)^2

..why? how was i supposed to do it?
That's not what you get from cross multiplying !

Cross multiply this:
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{M_e}{x^2}=\frac{M_m}{(r-x)^2}[/itex]​
Mm and Me should end up on opposite sides of the equation from each other.

Oh wow.. How did I not realize that ...
haha so its Me(r-x)^2 = Mm(x^2)
Thankkss!

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar2.jpg GMp crosses out both sides..

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton discovered the law of universal gravitation in 1687, publishing it in his landmark work "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica".

3. Is Newton's law of universal gravitation still used today?

Yes, Newton's law of universal gravitation is still used today and is considered one of the fundamental laws of physics. It is used to explain the motion of objects in the universe and is a key component of Newton's laws of motion.

4. How does Newton's law of universal gravitation relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Newton's law of universal gravitation is a classical theory that works well for describing the motion of objects in everyday situations. However, Einstein's theory of relativity is a more accurate and comprehensive theory that describes gravity as the curvature of space-time. In extreme situations, such as near massive objects or at high speeds, Newton's law breaks down and Einstein's theory must be used.

5. Can Newton's law of universal gravitation be applied to all objects in the universe?

Yes, Newton's law of universal gravitation can be applied to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or mass. However, it becomes less accurate in extreme situations, as mentioned in the previous question, and must be replaced by more advanced theories like Einstein's theory of relativity.