Newton's "Principia Mathematica": Understanding the Hard Parts

• Thread starter arabianights
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of reading Newton's Principia Mathematica and mentions that it is important for historical reasons but not necessarily useful for learning. It suggests alternative resources for learning calculus and mechanics and mentions a commentary by Chandrasekhar that makes the book easier to understand for modern physicists. It also notes that the book uses outdated language and notation, making it challenging to read.
arabianights
I've been trying to read Newton's Principia Mathematica, sth I've always wanted to do since college.

i'm familiar with the physics concepts and necessary mathematics involved, but often I found it's very hard to read the book, sometimes to the point that I'm totally lost as what Newton's trying to explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Principia is important for historical reasons, but as far as learning from it, it's pretty useless. Much better to get a book on calculus and mechanics.

Likes Maths Absorber
To understand the Principia is very hard. Usually we don't learn the math (pretty advanced Euclidean geometry, which for good reasons we use in terms of analytical geometry nowadys) used there. If I remember right, Chandrasekhar wrote a commentary on the Principia to make it better readable for the modern physicist.

Likes arabianights
I agree with the others. That book is difficult to read mostly for the language and notation used at that time, not necessarily because of the depth of coverage. Don't get me wrong. Newton was one of the greatest mathematicians ever ! But, so much work has been done since and clearer expositions have been written.

I tried to read it, the language is very hold and difficult to understand, the exposition uses the Euclidean geometry and a lot of reasoning on geometrical figures. I think it is interesting to see these proofs after learned the mechanics with our modern language (calculus and linear algebra). For a beginner I suggest to procede in this way...

When you read the Principia you have to keep in mind that he wrote for the level of knowledge of his time ...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Newton's Principia Mathematica"?

"Newton's Principia Mathematica" is a three-volume work written by Sir Isaac Newton and published in 1687. It is considered one of the most influential works in the history of science and is often referred to as the foundation of modern physics.

2. What are the main principles discussed in "Newton's Principia Mathematica"?

The main principles discussed in "Newton's Principia Mathematica" are the laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. These laws explain the behavior of objects in motion and the force of gravity between them.

3. What makes "Newton's Principia Mathematica" difficult to understand?

The language and mathematical notation used in "Newton's Principia Mathematica" can be quite challenging for modern readers. Additionally, the concepts presented in the work were revolutionary at the time and may require background knowledge in mathematics and physics to fully grasp.

4. How did "Newton's Principia Mathematica" impact the scientific community?

"Newton's Principia Mathematica" revolutionized the way scientists understood the physical world and laid the foundation for modern physics. It also introduced the concept of using mathematical equations to describe natural phenomena, which is still a fundamental aspect of scientific research today.

5. Are there any practical applications of "Newton's Principia Mathematica"?

Yes, the principles and laws presented in "Newton's Principia Mathematica" have been applied in various fields, including engineering, astronomy, and space exploration. For example, the calculations and theories developed in the work were essential for sending space probes to other planets and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.