Newton's second law and a locomotive

In summary, a 50,000 kg locomotive traveling at 60.0 m/s experiences failure of both its engine and brakes. According to Newton's first law, if there are no other forces acting upon it, the locomotive will continue to move with uniform velocity. Therefore, it will roll indefinitely until another force interacts with it. This is not a Newton's second law problem, but rather a Newton's first law problem.
Jennifer001

Homework Statement

A 50,000 kg locomotive is traveling at 60.0 when its engine and brakes both fail.

How far will the locomotive roll before it comes to a stop?

I'm completely lost and i don't know how to get started on this question

Physics news on Phys.org
Jennifer001 said:

Homework Statement

A 50,000 kg locomotive is traveling at 60.0 when its engine and brakes both fail.

How far will the locomotive roll before it comes to a stop?

I'm completely lost and i don't know how to get started on this question

F = m*a

If there is no braking, there is no force. No force means no deceleration.

Is that the entire statement of the problem?

yes that's the entire question

for F=m*a there is no acceleration because its alrdy traveling at 60m/s sorry i left that "m/s" out of the question

Jennifer001 said:
for F=m*a there is no acceleration because its alrdy traveling at 60m/s sorry i left that "m/s" out of the question

Better hope there is a lot of track then.

If the problem doesn't state a friction force involved, or any other type of force involved, then the train will keep moving until...some force interact with it.

Sakha said:
If the problem doesn't state a friction force involved, or any other type of force involved, then the train will keep moving until...some force interact with it.

Yup! :biggrin:

btw, this isn't a Newton's second law problem, but a Newtons first law problem …

a body on which no forces act continues to move with uniform velocity. :wink:

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How does Newton's second law apply to a locomotive?

In the context of a locomotive, Newton's second law explains the relationship between the force applied to the locomotive and its acceleration. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration of the locomotive. However, the mass of the locomotive also plays a role, as a heavier locomotive will require more force to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter locomotive.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's second law in action?

Some examples of Newton's second law in action include the movement of a car or bicycle, the motion of a ball after being kicked or thrown, and the acceleration of a rocket into space. In each of these cases, the net force applied to the object determines its acceleration.

How does Newton's second law relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's second law relates to the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. According to the law, the greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia and the more force is needed to change its motion. This is why it takes more force to accelerate a heavier object, such as a locomotive, compared to a lighter object.

Can Newton's second law be applied to objects in motion as well as objects at rest?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to objects in motion as well as objects at rest. This is because even objects that appear to be at rest, such as a book sitting on a table, are actually in a state of equilibrium where the net force acting on them is balanced. If an unbalanced force is applied, the object will accelerate according to Newton's second law.