Newton's Third Law, Gravity, and the Planck Length

In summary, given a 10^-12 kg object exerting a force of 10^-11 Newtons on the Earth, the Earth would accelerate about 10^-36 m/s^2. However, this distance (0.5*10^-36 m) is less than the Planck length, making it unmeasurable in any near or distant future. Therefore, the effects of such a small mass on the Earth are purely hypothetical and dependent on the paradigm in which one places themselves. In classical physics, the Earth would move over this distance, but in the realm of gravity and quantum effects, the answer is uncertain. It is possible that if the object were to explode, some particles may reach the Earth, but otherwise, the
kmarinas86
If you have a object that is about 10^36 less massive than the Earth (about 10^-12 kg) and say it exerts a force on the Earth about 10^-11 Newtons, this would cause the Earth to accelerate about 10^-36 m/s^2. If this object was away from earth, and say if these objects were initial stationary towards each other, in one second, the Earth would travel a distance of .5at^2, which would be .5*10^-36 m, less than the Planck length? So does such a small mass affect the Earth at all at a distance? Does the Earth move if the 10^-12 kg object does?

Science news on Phys.org
I would say that given that this is not measureable by any standard in any near or not so near future, that the answer to your question is entirely hypothetical. As such, it depends on the paradigm in which you place yourself.

Of course, in classical physics, given that there is no minimum length scale in that paradigm, there's no problem assuming that the Earth is moving over that distance. And, if not in classical physics, you enter in any case the twilight zone of speculation about gravity and quantum effects: I don't even think that string theorists, or LQG people, would be able to give you a precise answer in their speculative paradigms, or might even have several different views on the subject.

To answer your question k the Earth would not move at all because you're talking about an immensely small mass versus one of gargantuan proportions. All that might happen is that, when that little object explodes due to an impact or something in space, some of the particles might make it to Earth.

I consider this to be an exceptionally interesting question.
To be sure, if the "outcome" of a physical intervention is not permitted due to certain laws what, then, is to be made of the permitted initiating process? A catch-22, else one ends up with an action without a reaction in this case.

The reason I find this of interest is that I have been inspecting the potentially bizarre consequences of "forced violation"

I realize that these types of comments from me do not belong in this thread so I will stop here.

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. The magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the larger the mass of the objects and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

What is the Planck Length?

The Planck Length is the smallest possible length in the universe, approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters. It is derived from the Planck constant and the gravitational constant, and it is the length at which quantum effects become significant.

How are Newton's Third Law and gravity related?

Newton's Third Law applies to the force of gravity, as well. When an object with mass exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back. This is why objects fall towards each other due to gravity.

Is the Planck Length the smallest possible length in the universe?

While the Planck Length is currently considered the smallest possible length, it is still a subject of ongoing research in the field of quantum mechanics. There may be even smaller units of length that we have yet to discover.