NFPA 79 Compliance: An OEM's Perspective

In summary, the conversation revolves around the NFPA 79 standard, which is not a law but a standard for safety in measurement equipment. The person is seeking feedback on whether they should add the cost of compliance to quotations for customers. They also mention a link to a product that has been approved for NFPA 79 compliance.
mlowe1971
Hello,

I work for an OEM of Measurement Equipment. All my studies on NFPA 79 have concluded that this is a standard...not a law. If a customer wants a piece of equipment the cost of NFPA 79 compliance would be added to quotation. Can anyone give me some feedback on this.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
mlowe1971 said:
Hello,

I work for an OEM of Measurement Equipment. All my studies on NFPA 79 have concluded that this is a standard...not a law. If a customer wants a piece of equipment the cost of NFPA 79 compliance would be added to quotation. Can anyone give me some feedback on this.

Thanks

Welcome to the PF. I'm not sure any of us will be qualified to give you a definitive answer, but it seems like that approval should be a selling point at least for your products. How much extra cost does compliance add to your products?

http://www.abb-control.com/pdf/white/LV080.pdf

1. What is NFPA 79 compliance?

NFPA 79 compliance refers to the set of safety standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) specifically for industrial machinery. These standards outline specific requirements for the design, installation, and operation of electrical and mechanical systems to ensure the safety of operators and employees.

2. Why is NFPA 79 compliance important for OEMs?

As an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), it is your responsibility to design and produce machinery that meets industry safety standards. Compliance with NFPA 79 not only ensures the safety of your customers and their employees, but also protects your company from liability and potential legal issues.

3. What are some key areas of focus for NFPA 79 compliance?

NFPA 79 compliance covers a wide range of safety considerations, but some key areas of focus include electrical and wiring systems, control panels, and emergency stop devices. It also includes requirements for proper grounding and bonding, as well as labeling and documentation.

4. How can OEMs ensure compliance with NFPA 79?

The best way for OEMs to ensure compliance with NFPA 79 is to have a thorough understanding of the standards and regularly review and update their design and manufacturing processes. It is also important to work closely with suppliers and use components that are specifically designed for industrial machinery and comply with NFPA 79 requirements.

5. Are there any consequences for non-compliance with NFPA 79?

Yes, failure to comply with NFPA 79 standards can result in serious consequences, such as equipment failure, workplace accidents, and legal issues. It can also damage the reputation and credibility of an OEM. It is important to prioritize compliance with NFPA 79 to ensure the safety and success of your company and its customers.