Nice Resource to learn Advanced Calculus

In summary, Advanced Calculus is a branch of mathematics that covers advanced concepts in differential and integral calculus, including multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations. It is important for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians as it provides a deeper understanding of mathematical techniques used in various fields. Helpful resources for learning Advanced Calculus include textbooks and online resources, but prior knowledge of basic calculus is necessary. Advanced Calculus has practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, physics, and statistics.
Septim
Greetings everyone,

I know this is not the right place for this post but I cannot post in the science education subforum so I post my question here. I need a good resource - textbook, online resource, video lecture etc.- that explains the multivariate calculus really well; the topics I want to make clear are the Hessian Matrix concept and the classification of extrema for functions of several variables, partial derivatives and identities related with them together with their proofs, some nice discussion on reciprocals of (partial) derivatives, and change of variables for multidimensional integrals and the Jacobian Matrix. These are the topics that I was able to recall at the moment. I would appreciate it if you could guide me on these matter. Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
D'oh, too bad this post is months old. There is an incredible resource on coursera: Massively Multivariable Online Open Calculus Class.

https://www.coursera.org/course/m2o2c2

Not sure if you can still sign up or not on coursera, but most of the meat of the course is hosted by Ohio State anyways, and Jim said he'd keep it open:

http://ximera.osu.edu/course/kisonecat/m2o2c2/course/

It's a pretty action-packed six week course on multivariable differential calc:

- First week is on [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and linear maps [itex]\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}^m[/itex]
- Second week is on total derivative (as a linear map), partial deriviatives, gradients, and a bit about one-forms
- Third week is finite dimensional vector spaces, linear maps, eigenvectors
- Fourth week is bilinear maps, intro to the tensor product, adjoints, and ends with a really simple and cool proof of the spectral theorem
- Fifth week is on the second derivative of a map [itex]\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] as a bilinear form represented by the Hessian matrix, equality of mixed partials, optimization, and constrained optimization using Lagrange multipliers
- Sixth week is multilinear forms, kth derivatives of maps [itex]\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] as k-linear forms [itex](\mathbb{R}^n)^k \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], and Taylor's Theorem.

Next September he'll likely do a continuation course on forms, building up to Stokes' Theorem.

Septim said:
Greetings everyone,

I know this is not the right place for this post but I cannot post in the science education subforum so I post my question here. I need a good resource - textbook, online resource, video lecture etc.- that explains the multivariate calculus really well; the topics I want to make clear are the Hessian Matrix concept and the classification of extrema for functions of several variables, partial derivatives and identities related with them together with their proofs, some nice discussion on reciprocals of (partial) derivatives, and change of variables for multidimensional integrals and the Jacobian Matrix. These are the topics that I was able to recall at the moment. I would appreciate it if you could guide me on these matter. Thanks in advance

I think you can search on Google which you want to get regarding anything where you can find so many results which are very satisfy able.

1. What is Advanced Calculus?

Advanced Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with advanced concepts in differential and integral calculus. It goes beyond the basic concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals, and explores topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations.

2. Why is it important to learn Advanced Calculus?

Advanced Calculus is important for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians as it provides a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for solving complex problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science.

3. What are some helpful resources for learning Advanced Calculus?

Some helpful resources for learning Advanced Calculus include textbooks such as "Advanced Calculus" by David Widder and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams, as well as online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. Is prior knowledge of basic calculus required for learning Advanced Calculus?

Yes, prior knowledge of basic calculus is necessary for understanding Advanced Calculus. It is important to have a solid foundation in concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals before diving into more advanced topics.

5. How can I apply Advanced Calculus in real-life situations?

Advanced Calculus has numerous real-life applications, such as in engineering for designing structures and predicting behavior of systems, in economics for optimizing production and consumption, and in physics for understanding motion and forces. It can also be applied in fields such as statistics, computer science, and finance.