Nikola Tesla to be Canonized: Exploring the Possibility

• Thread starter shinokk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tesla
In summary, there is an online petition to the Serbian Orthodox church to make Nikola Tesla a saint, but this would only have meaning within that church and may be a political move to gain credibility in scientific fields. Becoming a saint requires a "holy" life and associated miracles, but there are no known miracles associated with Tesla. Some are skeptical of mixing religion and science, citing examples of horrific saints in history. Overall, it is debatable whether this potential sainthood would have any meaningful impact on the perception of Tesla's accomplishments.
shinokk
Well, I just read that Nikola Tesla could become a saint. It's in my native language so I translated it to English.
Here's the link to the English version: http://followscience.blogspot.com/2012/07/tesla-to-be-canonised.html
At the bottom of the post, you can find the link to the original text in Serbian.

So, what are your thoughts on this? I don't really like mixing religion and science, but if it's going to popularize science, it might be a good thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
IIRC to become a saint the person must have lead a "holy" life and there must be miracles associated to them after death. I know of lots of conspiracy theories surrounding Tesla but no miracles.

Also sainthood isn't all that cracked up. Many saints were horrific people, like Saint Thomas More who allowed torture and execution by fire of people for crimes as minor as owning a Bible in English.

Finally, in my personal opinion this (if true) is the type of common political play performed by fundamentalists to take some of the credit for scientific accomplishment and therefore gain a veneer of credibility in scientific fields.

He wasn't religious...

There is some online petition to the Serbian Orthodox church requesting that he be a saint, but that wouldn't make him a saint outside that church, so it would be meaningless to most of the world anyway.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for someone to be "canonized"?

Canonization is the process by which the Catholic Church recognizes a person as a saint. It involves a thorough investigation of the person's life and their impact on the Church and society, as well as the verification of miracles attributed to their intercession.

2. Why is there a possibility of Nikola Tesla being canonized?

There has been a growing movement among some individuals and groups to recognize Tesla as a saint due to his contributions to science and technology, as well as his personal virtues and philanthropy. However, the Catholic Church has not officially started the process of canonization for Tesla.

3. What are some of the arguments for and against Tesla's canonization?

Some argue that Tesla's scientific achievements and humanitarian efforts make him a worthy candidate for sainthood. Others argue that canonization should be reserved for those who have lived a life of holiness and service to the Church. There is also debate over whether Tesla's reported miracles can be attributed to his intercession.

4. How does the Catholic Church decide who can be canonized?

The Catholic Church has a strict process for canonization, which includes thorough investigations into the person's life and reputation, the gathering of evidence of their heroic virtues, and the verification of miracles attributed to their intercession. This process can take many years and involves multiple stages of approval from the Church hierarchy.

5. What would be the significance of Tesla's canonization?

If Tesla were to be canonized, it would mean that the Catholic Church officially recognizes him as a saint and a role model for the faithful. It could also bring attention to his life and contributions, potentially leading to further study and appreciation of his work. However, it should be noted that the process of canonization is not solely based on a person's achievements, but also their holiness and relationship with God.