Nilpotent operator or not given characteristic polynomial?

In summary, the homework statement says that all linear operators with a characteristic polynomial of the form in the problem statement are nilpotent. However, the nature of the ground field doesn't affect this argument.
fishshoe
Hey, I'm working on a proof for a research-related assignment. I posted it under homework, but it's a little abstract and I was hoping someone on this forum might have some advice:

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]T:V \rightarrow V [/itex] has characteristic polynomial [itex] p_{T}(t) = (-1)^{n}t^n[/itex].
(a) Are all such operators nilpotent? Prove or give a counterexample.
(b) Does the nature of the ground field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] matter in answering this question?

Homework Equations

Nilpotent operators have a characteristic polynomial of the form in the problem statement, and [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] is the only eigenvalue over any field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally thought that any linear transformation with the given characteristic polynomial would therefore have a block upper or lower triangular form with zeros on the diagonals, and therefore be nilpotent. But I'm confused by part (b), and the more I think about it, I'm not sure how to rule out that another more complex matrix representation of a non-nilpotent transformation might have the same form. And I have no idea how the choice of the field affects it. The very fact that they asked part (b) makes me think it does depend on the field, but I can't figure out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

Yeah - I hadn't thought about using that for a proof, but it would show that
[itex] (-1)^{n}T^n = 0 \Rightarrow T^n = 0 [/itex]
so T is nilpotent.

So what does this part (b) mean? [itex] T^n = 0 [/itex] means T is nilpotent no matter if the field is complex or reals, right? Is it just a mean-hearted distraction? Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything: the field F doesn't affect this argument at all.

so a teacher asking us to know what we are talking about is mean spirited? ouch,

1. What is a nilpotent operator?

A nilpotent operator is a linear transformation on a vector space that has the property that there exists a positive integer n such that the nth power of the operator is the zero operator.

2. How can you determine if an operator is nilpotent or not?

To determine if an operator is nilpotent, you can calculate its characteristic polynomial and check if it has a root of multiplicity greater than or equal to the dimension of the vector space it is acting on. If this is true, then the operator is nilpotent.

3. What is the characteristic polynomial of a nilpotent operator?

The characteristic polynomial of a nilpotent operator is a polynomial of degree n, where n is the dimension of the vector space it is acting on, and its roots are all 0.

4. Can a non-zero operator have a characteristic polynomial with all roots equal to 0?

Yes, it is possible for a non-zero operator to have a characteristic polynomial with all roots equal to 0. This is because the roots of the characteristic polynomial do not necessarily correspond to the eigenvalues of the operator.

5. What is the relationship between the nilpotency of an operator and its characteristic polynomial?

The nilpotency of an operator is closely related to its characteristic polynomial. A nilpotent operator has a characteristic polynomial with all roots equal to 0, while an operator with a characteristic polynomial with all roots equal to 0 is not necessarily nilpotent.