Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nilpotent operator or not given characteristic polynomial?

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    Hey, I'm working on a proof for a research-related assignment. I posted it under homework, but it's a little abstract and I was hoping someone on this forum might have some advice:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [itex]T:V \rightarrow V [/itex] has characteristic polynomial [itex] p_{T}(t) = (-1)^{n}t^n[/itex].
    (a) Are all such operators nilpotent? Prove or give a counterexample.
    (b) Does the nature of the ground field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] matter in answering this question?

2. Relevant equations
    Nilpotent operators have a characteristic polynomial of the form in the problem statement, and [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] is the only eigenvalue over any field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally thought that any linear transformation with the given characteristic polynomial would therefore have a block upper or lower triangular form with zeros on the diagonals, and therefore be nilpotent. But I'm confused by part (b), and the more I think about it, I'm not sure how to rule out that another more complex matrix representation of a non-nilpotent transformation might have the same form. And I have no idea how the choice of the field affects it. The very fact that they asked part (b) makes me think it does depend on the field, but I can't figure out why.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you familiar with the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Yeah - I hadn't thought about using that for a proof, but it would show that
    [itex] (-1)^{n}T^n = 0 \Rightarrow T^n = 0 [/itex]
    so T is nilpotent.

So what does this part (b) mean? [itex] T^n = 0 [/itex] means T is nilpotent no matter if the field is complex or reals, right? Is it just a mean-hearted distraction? Am I missing something here?

5. Mar 5, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're not missing anything: the field F doesn't affect this argument at all.

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

so a teacher asking us to know what we are talking about is mean spirited? ouch,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook