NJ teen unlocks iPhone from AT&T network

In summary, the iPhone is only available to be used with T-Mobile, which is on the same type of antiquated, slower than molasses network as AT&T. George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., spent his last summer before college figuring out how to "unlock" the iPhone, freeing it from being restricted to a single carrier, AT&T Inc.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The sad news is that the only other carrier it will work with is T-Mobile, which is on the same type of antiquated, slower than molasses network. :rolleyes:

NEW YORK - Armed with a soldering iron and a large supply of energy drinks, a slight, curly haired teenager has developed a way to make the iPhone, arguably the gadget of the year, available to a much wider audience.

George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., spent his last summer before college figuring out how to "unlock" the iPhone, freeing it from being restricted to a single carrier, AT&T Inc.

In a video post, Hotz demonstrated an iPhone running on T-Mobile's network, the only major U.S. carrier apart from AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone's cellular technology.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_hi_te/iphone_unlocked

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
How is an iPhone different from a BlackBerry?

It begins with i
It's from Apple
It doesn't have a usable keyboard
You can only use it with one provider
It doesn't tie into your corporate IT system.
Did I mention it begins with 'i' ?

What good is it without a usable keyboard?

But it begins with 'i' ;-)

It has a touch screen keyboard displayed on the touchpad, I think it is intended for the 'more money than sense' style conscious audience rather than heavy business users.

Man you're being mean.

But ironically, a main part of it is that it is from Apple. Apple has developed such a name that while Microsoft's products are generally associated with "crap" Apple makes quality stuff that has intuitive use, and is just so goddam sexy.

And then they sold out and it can only be connected to the internet by what amounts to a dial up connection. What the hell were they thinking?

Evo said:
What the hell were they thinking?
Either -
Cynical = we have to get this cool gadget out while everyone is still talking about iPods, by the time all the early adopters(1) have bought it and we have ramped up production we will have deals with other cell phone providers, there will be more 3G coverage and someone else will have solved the problem of getting reasonable battery life from 3G.

Mean = It begins with 'i' cool !

(1)Person who buys every new gadget - Translation
[British English] Enthusiast
[USA English] Early adopter
[AUSTRALIAN English]Flash yuppy b***tard

Last edited:
iPhysics Forums
The "Must Join Forum" of the year!

Mallignamius said:
iPhysics Forums

That's cute!

mgb_phys said:
It begins with i

That clinches it. I HAVE to get one of these now!

(Do you think if I change my name to "iG01" I'll become the most popular member on the forum?:biggrin:)

Evo said:
And then they sold out and it can only be connected to the internet by what amounts to a dial up connection. What the hell were they thinking?
And why would they sell out to the tune of 5 years of exclusivity on that antiquated bandwidth-challenged network?

The cynic in me says that the iPhone is intended to be disposable, and Apple expects none of them to be in service in a couple more years. The soldered-in battery and high battery-replacement cost should be a clue, too.

G01 said:
That clinches it. I HAVE to get one of these now!

(Do you think if I change my name to "iG01" I'll become the most popular member on the forum?:biggrin:)
You're already one of the most popular.

G01 said:
You have to also become expensve, thinner, and less functional

Evo said:
You're already one of the most popular.
Thanks! Coming from Evo (whose so popular she can't keep and empty PM box:biggrin:), that must mean alot!:approve:

mgb_phys said:
You have to also become expensve, thinner, and less functional

:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Mallignamius said:
iPhysics Forums
You need a disclaimer that you can only log on if you have dial up ISP through AOL and that the computer required needs it's proprietary keyboard replaced by a professional every 5,000 keystrokes.

FredGarvin said:
You need a disclaimer that you can only log on if you have dial up ISP through AOL and that the computer required needs it's proprietary keyboard replaced by a professional every 5,000 keystrokes.
:rofl: :rofl:

turbo-1 said:
And why would they sell out to the tune of 5 years of exclusivity on that antiquated bandwidth-challenged network?

The cynic in me says that the iPhone is intended to be disposable, and Apple expects none of them to be in service in a couple more years. The soldered-in battery and high battery-replacement cost should be a clue, too.

Well, thinking about it, how many people keep their phones more than a few years any more? Every few years, the technology improves, phones get a bit smaller, have more features, and you get offered free or cheap upgrades (in my case, upgrading my phone was cheaper than buying the replacement battery I needed last year). Of course, I don't use the phone enough to want to keep a spare battery around, but I do know people who are constantly on the road, using their cell phone all day, and can't wait for it to charge between uses, so keep a spare battery to pop in mid-day until they have time to charge. I guess if you're a kid with rich parents who just needs it to organize a social life, it won't matter, but if you're a serious user, you're not going to want to use an iPhone just for the cute looks.

I wonder if the 5-year contract with AT&T only applies to the current iPhone? If they can come out with the iPhone-nano, or the iPhone II or whatever they will call it in two more years as they get design feedback on the current model, maybe they'll be able to put that out on other networks without violating the 5-year AT&T contract. Now that we've had a few threads on it, it's occurring to me that they aren't selling to people who need a smart phone...that demographic already has Blackberries and are unlikely to jump ship for an untested new gadget, because they need reliability. Especially when the price point is so high to cover the development costs, those who have a reliable phone aren't going to switch early, but wait for version two anyway. Instead, they're appealing to the gadget freaks who are more interested in something cool looking to play with (and yes, that starts with an 'i'), and not so much functionality. They'll still get plenty of feedback, because those gadget freaks just can't wait to write blogs about their iPhones and what they've learned to do or not do with it. They'll get back bug reports and phones returned damaged, and use that information to design the next generation of iPhone, at which time the other network providers will see the popularity and will be on board with contracting with them.

The other possibility is that AT&T made them a fantastic offer for that exclusive contract. AT&T's wireless has a bad and worsening reputation -- I don't know anyone who still uses AT&T for their wireless. AT&T may have seen this for what it is...a way to regain customers and popularity on their wireless networks, which would be good reason to pay Apple well for an exclusive contract. Of course, that will backfire as people realize how crappy the network really is unless AT&T is ready to make major upgrades in the next couple years before those contracts run out in order to retain those customers.

Edit: Hmm...that brings another question to mind...who pays whom when a cellphone manufacturer contracts with a wireless provider? Does Apple pay AT&T to put their phone on their network, or does AT&T pay Apple for providing the phones to put on their network? Or does it stay all separated that Apple gets the profit on the phone sales, and AT&T the profit on the wireless service contracts? Maybe other providers wouldn't take on the iPhone because they wanted some reliability issues addressed before they'd attach their name to it, and AT&T was willing to take the risk because they don't have to worry about ruining their reputation on reliability?

Last edited:
In the cellphone business the service providers call the shots to a much greater degree than anywhere else.
I suspect Apple were lucky to get a deal from anyone.
Form Apple's point of view they got lots of publicity, reinforced their must-have image and will sell all the units they can build for the forseeable future.
they will probably sell unlocked ones for the same price when they have reduced the build cost.

The main difference with the iPod is that there are already a lot of better performing phones that are also very stylish. I doubt there is room for an iPhone Nano to compete in a market where very nice Nokia/Sony/etc phones are given away free with monthly contracts.

Evo said:
The sad news is that the only other carrier it will work with is T-Mobile, which is on the same type of antiquated, slower than molasses network. :rolleyes:

Oh oh...

This may be a little off topic, but ever since cingular became at&t I've had no end of trouble with my cell phone.
It's gotten to the point where I cannot run my business with it anymore.
I mean I get my voice mail 8hrs later...I get all kinds of junk voice mail...I get junk text messages...phone drops calls every 1/4 mile. :yuck:

Glad my contract is up :bugeye:

mgb_phys said:
In the cellphone business the service providers call the shots to a much greater degree than anywhere else.
I suspect Apple were lucky to get a deal from anyone.
Form Apple's point of view they got lots of publicity, reinforced their must-have image and will sell all the units they can build for the forseeable future.
they will probably sell unlocked ones for the same price when they have reduced the build cost.
I don't think Apple has the option to sell unlocked iPhones until AT&T's 5 years is up, but if the geniuses at AT&T think that the iPhones will still be viable 5 years down the road and they gave Apple a nice incentive to "partner" with them, they are going to realize in the next 12-18 months that they just got their tighty-whiteys pulled up over their heads.

1. How did the NJ teen unlock the iPhone from the AT&T network?

The NJ teen used a software unlocking tool to bypass the restrictions placed by AT&T on the iPhone. The tool exploits vulnerabilities in the phone's software to unlock it.

2. Is it legal to unlock an iPhone from the AT&T network?

Yes, it is legal to unlock an iPhone from the AT&T network. In 2014, the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act was passed, making it legal for consumers to unlock their phones.

3. Can I unlock my own iPhone from the AT&T network?

Yes, you can unlock your own iPhone from the AT&T network. However, it is important to note that unlocking a phone may void its warranty and could potentially cause damage to the device.

4. Will unlocking my iPhone from the AT&T network affect its functionality?

Unlocking your iPhone from the AT&T network should not affect its functionality. However, if you are using the phone on a different network, there may be certain features or services that are not available.

5. Can AT&T block the unlocked iPhone from accessing their network again?

No, AT&T cannot block the unlocked iPhone from accessing their network again. Once the phone is unlocked, it can be used on any compatible network, regardless of its previous carrier.

Back