Exploring NMR Operators: I_x, I_y, I_z

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of operators I_x, I_y, I_z and S_x, S_y, S_z in the context of coherent in-phase heteronuclear spin transfers in NMR. The operators represent spin operators for each particle and are also used for actions of the special unitary group on the same Hilbert space. The conversation also confirms that I and S are identity operators and discusses the transfer from I^- to S^- for two heteronuclear spin 1/2 particles. The conversation concludes with the clarification that S and I are operators considered on the combined spin system.
Kreizhn
I'm reading a paper on NMR, and the authors keep referring to the operators [itex] I_x, I_y, I_z [/itex]. What are these operators? I keep finding them mentioned in other papers, but no description of what they are.

Physics news on Phys.org
In particular, these operators pertain to the discussion of coherent in-phase heteronuclear spin transfers. In this papers the operators mentioned are [itex] S_x, S_y, S_z, I_x, I_y, I_z [/itex]. Am I correct in that these simply represent the spin operators for each particle?

The Pauli spin matrices
sigma_x = I_x = 1/2[0 1; 1 0], and so forth.

Which form the basis set for a 1/2 spin system with the |alpha> eigenket being [1;0] and |beta> being [0;1]

And to answer the second question: Yes.

I don't know specifically about NMR, but in quantum mechanics that I've come across, when S is spin, I are just the identity operators... but that would probably be obvious from the context.

See, but the [itex] S_x, S_y, S_z [/itex] should also represent the spin operators. And in what sense would [itex] I_x, I_y, I_z [/itex] be three separate identity operators?

What do you mean we have a different space for x,y,z of spin? A spin operator is a representation of actions of the special unitary group with appropriate dimension for the spin of the particle, acting on the same Hilbert space.

Ix,Iy,Iz is the notation used for spin operators in NMR, and Sx, Sy, Sz are the operators on the second spin when you're studying a two-spin system ("I-S").

Trust me. It's been a while since I studied NMR, but I do remember this much. Check out any book on the topic. Or google for some lecture notes or smth.

Edit: http://www.nmrfam.wisc.edu/~milo/notes/paradigm_II.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
So then you're confirming my second post?

Kreizhn said:
So then you're confirming my second post?

Yup.

Okay, the next thing is that given two heteronuclear spin 1/2 particles, the paper is considering the coherence-order selective in-phase transfer from [itex] I^- \to S^- [/itex] where [itex] I^- = I_x - iI_y, S^- = S_x - iS_y [/itex]. But if spin I and spin S have the same representation, what does this transfer amount to? That is, could a concrete example be given for representations of I,S such that this is a nontrivial control problem?

Nevermind, I think I found a book that's telling me that S and I are operators as considered on the combined spin system. This clears up my ambiguity.

1. What are NMR operators?

NMR operators are mathematical operators used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to describe the behavior of nuclear spins in a magnetic field. They are represented by the symbols I_x, I_y, and I_z, and they represent the spin components in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

2. What is the significance of NMR operators in NMR spectroscopy?

NMR operators are essential in NMR spectroscopy because they help us understand how nuclear spins interact with a magnetic field. By manipulating the NMR operators, we can control the behavior of nuclear spins and obtain valuable information about the structure and properties of molecules.

3. How do I_x, I_y, and I_z differ from each other?

The main difference between I_x, I_y, and I_z is the direction of the spin component they represent. I_x represents the spin component in the x direction, I_y represents the spin component in the y direction, and I_z represents the spin component in the z direction.

4. Can NMR operators be combined to form other operators?

Yes, NMR operators can be combined using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to form other operators. For example, the combination of I_x and I_y forms the operator I_xy, which represents the spin component in the xy plane.

5. Are there any limitations to using NMR operators in NMR spectroscopy?

While NMR operators are powerful tools in NMR spectroscopy, there are limitations to their use. They are based on idealized systems and do not take into account real-world factors such as relaxation and chemical shift. Also, the operators may not accurately represent the behavior of complex molecules with multiple spins.