No coffee?

turbo
Gold Member

yes, you are right. compost is what i mean. you can just throw them out in a flower bed or something, but they will tend to mold if not composted first.
My wife and I compost ALL plant-based materials. Interestingly (or not) my mother loved gardening, and she had me composting plant waste by the time I was 8 or 10 or so, so we could use the compost for fertilizer in our garden. By the time I was 10, I figured out that I could start a side-line selling earthworms for bait, so I put out a little sign. Pretty soon, I had a fair following of local fishermen who were sick of paying for bait-shops for lethargic worms that fell apart easily. My worms were healthy, and I never stuck them with a bunch of little ones to get the count up, like bait-dealers did. Best of all, they would come out to the pile with me, and kind of tease me as I picked out worms for them "Grab that one! He'll catch me a good salmon!" and stuff like that. I didn't make a lot of money, but when your dad is trying to support a family of 6 on $1.15/hr a few extra bucks a week was a big deal. He made me save every cent of it, because he wanted me to go to college and expected me to pay for it.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Most of my grounds go into the pasture.

Favorite coffees?

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Most of my grounds go into the pasture.

Favorite coffees?
We compost the coffee grounds with other vegetable kitchen waste, grass and leaves.

I've generally preferred the coffees I get in Europe.

As for those we've brewed at home, we use Folgers, but my favorite is Seaport, which was a rather strong roast.

Jamaican Blue Mountain, grown above 4000' feet, or Kona. French press, proceed to orgasm.

That said, I'm also happy with diner coffee and instant, but you asked 'favorites', so you get them.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

When I was making money we would get Dark Sumatran whole beans from a local roaster. Now I drink cheap stuff from Costco, still whole beans.

turbo
Gold Member

When I was making money we would get Dark Sumatran whole beans from a local roaster. Now I drink cheap stuff from Costco, still whole beans.
Not weasel-poop beans?

Not weasel-poop beans?
:rofl:

Ohhhh god, I can't imagine drinking that stuff.

Yes, lets eat his poop:
Paradox_hermaph_060924_ltn.jpg

turbo
Gold Member

BTW, when I was a kid, my father did the shopping at the local A&P. My mother and I would grow, process, and can vegetables, and my father and I would pick fiddleheads until we couldn't stand to look at them any more (bushels every night) and my mother and I would blanch and freeze them. When it was time to grocery-shop, my mother and my sisters would stay at home. My father would cruise the aisles for stuff we didn't have in the freezer or the pantry, and give me a few critical tasks. My favorite was being instructed to go get so many scoops of X beans and of Y beans and run them through the coffee grinder. I would be high on the smell of that little department for the rest of the day. To this day, when I think of A&P stores, I think of the smell of oiled hardwood floors and rich, freshly-ground coffee. You can tack in the smell of citrus in season, really sharp cheeses, etc, but ground coffee and oiled hardwood floors pretty much nail it in the primitive sections of my brain.

drink a lot of folgers here, but wouldn't turn down weasel poop

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I buy beans at the commissary or grocery store - Millstone is the most common brand I buy. I get the Columbian and grind it every morning. I drink a little less than a pot a day, but at least two cups.

A morning like coffee is like .......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC9wd-q8x38

Last edited by a moderator:

drink a lot of folgers here, but wouldn't turn down weasel poop
That needs to be a bumper sticker, NOW.

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member

I suggest this entire thread be moved to "skepticism and debunking." I don't believe in life before coffee.

[Edit: although the weasel poop can be a thread all on its own.]

Last edited:

That needs to be a bumper sticker, NOW.
I like "Know beans, know coffee. No beans, no coffee."

Since I moved into a Hispanic household we drink only espresso. I can't even stand drinking "Americano" anymore as it tastes like water. It used to be stovetop, but my wife and I got a Bed bath and beyond (I always wanna say "bloodbath" for some reason) gift certificate and bought a cappucino machine. We order our coffee straight from a place we visited in the mountains of Puerto Rico. Comes in 5 lb bags and it takes us about a month to get through it.

I'm in coffee Nirvanna, but it causes problems because I'm also at a level of coffee snobbery from which there is no turning back. Fortunately in Florida there are plenty of Hispanic markets which serve strong coffee, though I can't seem to convince any Cubans not to put sugar in it. (The Cuban allowance of sugar is something like 2 pounds per month, I've been told, and diabetes is a problem there)

On our last road trip my wife and I actually took a small French press with us and stopped at gas stations to get hot water and brewed our own in transit. We seriously considered getting a machine for the car.

I no longer measure my coffee in pots or cups but "shots," and I am considering skipping this inefficient method of consumption altogether and going intravenous, though I suppose I'd miss the aromas and so forth.

I tend to be the in house barista since I'm good with technology (like cappucino machines), though I've got my 9 year old nephew in training, who already knows how to froth milk. The physics of espresso are actually pretty interesting. 15 bars of pressure through finely ground coffee beans = nectar of the gods.

-DaveKA (whose already got a bit too much blood in his caffeine system this morning)

Here's an updated version of the coffee cantata by the Ink Spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6IUqrFHjw

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

I have a low tolerance for caffein. If I were to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, it would keep me up all day.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Isn't being kept awake all day one of the points of coffee? If it keeps you awake at night, I get it, but caffeine doesn't persist in the body for anywhere near that long.
Hey Jimmy, meet Nismar. Nismar, this is Jimmy. You will soon come to appreciate his sense of humor.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Jimmy, meet Nismar. Nismar, this is Jimmy. You will soon come to appreciate his sense of humor.
Oooooh, don't I just feel like the silliest goose in the room. :blushing: I'm coming off a bit of a Jimmy "low", so I was primed to take him literally rather than in the excellent Jackie Mason tradition obviously intended.

All I can offer you by way of apology, is this freshly brewed cup of weasel-poop-juice. Here... I insist.