Sliding Box: Constant Speed or Increasing?

In summary: But is this really what was meant? If so, then I apologize for not being more clear.In summary, the sliding box will accelerate if the only horizontal force acting on it is the constant force mentioned.
gunnar
Let say we have a sliding box. The box is sliding because of an constant force perpendicular to the box. There is no friction and no air restistance. Does the speed of the box increase or is it constant. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton´s law: F = m a
If you have a force (sum of all forces in the system, also friction) that is not zero, you always have an acceleration...

gunnar said:
Let say we have a sliding box. The box is sliding because of an constant force perpendicular to the box. There is no friction and no air restistance. Does the speed of the box increase or is it constant. ?
I assume the box is on a horizontal, frictionless surface, and that the force "perpendicular to" the box acts horizontally?

Assuming the only horizontal force is the one mentioned, then the box will accelerate. Note: I would not say that the box is sliding because of the force, since a force is not required to maintain motion. The box is accelerated because of the force.

gunnar said:

Depends on the shape of the box.On normal basis,if the force doesn't push the box to the ground and the the box be motionless before the application of the force,it could accelerate on any direction.

dextercioby said:
Depends on the shape of the box.On normal basis,if the force doesn't push the box to the ground and the the box be motionless before the application of the force,it could accelerate on any direction.
It isn't correct to say that it depends on the shape of the box. It will always accelerate, unless the plane is horizontal. It will not move to 'any' direction, either.

Thanks, the answer is what I thought. Maybe it would be clearer to imagine the box in space with a constan force acting straight on, then the box would accelerate, thought the force would stay the same, say 100 N.

well if the force is perpendicular to the surface, and if we assume the box and the surface are unbreakable, the normal force of the surface would cancel out the constant force, so it can't be sliding at all. Gunnar, please give more information or change the scenario.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Is the scenario like this?
....._______.....
....||...||...
.F -------->.||...||...
....||______||...

If so, and if F is the only force acting on the box (besides gravity, but since there is no friction, it is negligable) then the box will be accelerating.

Last edited:
ramollari said:
It isn't correct to say that it depends on the shape of the box. It will always accelerate, unless the plane is horizontal. It will not move to 'any' direction, either.
On the contrary, what Dextercioby said was completely correct (although possibly slightly confusing to the original questioner). Nothing was said about the force going through the center of gravity. Depending on the shape of the box, some or all of the force might simply cause the box to rotate around its center. Since nothing was said about the direction of the force, it could also move in "any" direction.

I am also puzzled by "unless the plane is horizontal". The question ("The box is sliding because of an constant force perpendicular to the box.") implies no other (gravitational) force so it would be natural to consider that the plane is horizontal- and will certainly accelerate. (Perhaps with only angular acceleration but I doubt the original post intended that.)

1. What is the difference between constant speed and increasing speed in the sliding box experiment?

The difference between constant speed and increasing speed in the sliding box experiment is the rate at which the box moves. In constant speed, the box moves at a consistent rate without any changes. In increasing speed, the box accelerates and moves at a faster rate over time.

2. How do you determine if the sliding box is moving at a constant speed or increasing speed?

To determine if the sliding box is moving at a constant speed or increasing speed, you can use a stopwatch or a timer to measure the time it takes for the box to move a certain distance. If the time remains the same for each trial, the box is moving at a constant speed. If the time decreases with each trial, the box is moving at an increasing speed.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the sliding box?

The speed of the sliding box can be affected by various factors such as the surface it is sliding on, the angle of the surface, the mass of the box, and the force applied to the box. Other factors like air resistance and friction can also impact the speed of the box.

4. How does the speed of the sliding box relate to the force applied?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it. This means that the greater the force applied to the sliding box, the faster it will accelerate and the faster it will move. Therefore, the speed of the box is directly related to the force applied to it.

5. Can the sliding box ever reach a constant speed if the force applied is constantly increasing?

No, the sliding box will not reach a constant speed if the force applied is constantly increasing. As the force increases, the acceleration of the box will also increase, causing the box to continue to move at an increasing speed. In order for the box to reach a constant speed, the force applied must remain constant.