Femme_physics
Gold Member
- 2,548
- 1
Pfffff, you guys clearly haven't seen Journey to the Center of the Earth...
pete20r2 said:IF THE MIDDLE WAS HOLLOW, and vented to the surface;
[...]
In a vacuum (good start), if there was a hole in the earth, through to the other side and I jumped down it, this is what would happen:
1. I would accelerate down until I crossed half way, this acceleration would be DECREASING as I approached the center and would be 0 as I crossed.
pete20r2 said:I was thinking about coriolis as I was writing that, but thought it irrelevant to this discussion, thanks for making people aware of the facts, though.![]()
I like Serena said:Note also that you would not fall through the center of the earth, but more in an elliptic orbit with the geometric center coinciding with the center of the earth.
in the detail. If you were a whizz at analysis, you could, no doubt derive the actual curve and show that it is (or not) an ellipse.sophiecentaur said:Elliptic? Are you sure? The attraction law is not inverse square and elliptical orbits are generated by inverse square. It may not 'not' be but I'm not sure.in the detail. If you were a whizz at analysis, you could, no doubt derive the actual curve and show that it is (or not) an ellipse.
I like Serena said:Yes, I am!
The attraction law is linear instead of inverse square.
Still an ellipse, but the center of attraction is not in one of the focus points, but in the geometric center. Cool huh!![]()
I like Serena said:As for the proof, isn't it enough that a spring or a pendulum makes a harmonic motion?![]()
cjl said:Really? An inverse attraction law (1/r) creates an elliptical orbit with the body at the geometric center of the ellipse? I would be surprised if it were the case, but I haven't worked out the math...
cjl said:I don't see how that is sufficient. It does show that the object will oscillate harmonically given a straight path through the center, but it doesn't really say anything about 2-D orbits...
Ahh, good point. I wasn't thinking there.I like Serena said:Not inverse - linear (~ r)
I like Serena said:Parametric equation of an ellipse is:
x = a cos phi
y = b sin phi
cjl said:Yes, but I'm still not sure that is sufficient...
(I might try to work this out on paper in a bit, just to convince myself)
I like Serena said:I you go from north to south as sophie_centaur suggested, you'll get a nice sin wave (if the Earth would be an isolated body).
Now let's add a deviation in a perpendicular direction.
Hey, that will make a sin wave a well, which is independent and possibly shifted in phase and with a different amplitude...
cjl said:That does seem to make sense. That's an interesting result...
You are just making that up out of your imagination, I'm afraid. In a spherical hole in the centre of a sphere with a spherically symmetrical mass distribution there would be no forces at all on your body except those of mutual attraction between the various parts of your own body. You can't contradict Mr Gauss' law.Malibuguy said:If there were a hollow center in the earth, then an object placed in the center would experience the gravity of the surrounding mass of the earth. Gravity would be pulling from all around. Sort of like someone pulling on your head and your feet and pulling on your right arm and your left arm.
Assuming the masses were symmetrically placed about the center, the gravitational field at the center would be zero. So the object wouldn't 'feel' anything. For a spherically symmetric shell of mass one can show that the field is zero everywhere inside the shell.Malibuguy said:Let's say we have several large masses very close together. An object placed in the center would experience the gravitational forces of all of the masses. The object might not have a net movement if the the gravitational forces were balanced but it would feel the pull from each mass
Sorry, that's wrong. Sure, the pieces would attract each other, but they would exert no net gravitational pull on a object placed at the center.Malibuguy said:What if we divided the Earth into 4 parts of a sphere. Now we placed them very close together. In an instant the four parts would come together again due to gravity. But before the instant they did come
Together-an object placed in the center would feel the gravitational pull of the four large masses. Gravity doesn't cancel itself out.
Again, the pull of various parts of a planet on each other is not in question.Malibuguy said:The gravity effect would be pulling inward on all directions. large planets are spherical In shape in part due togravity pulling together at the center! Otherwise spinning planets would fall apart due to centrifugal forces
That's true.Malibuguy said:So there is a lot of pressure at the center of the earth
Originally Posted by Malibuguy
So there is a lot of pressure at the center of the Earth
That's true.