The God Particle: Confirmation Aching Close?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, this article is about the latest developments in the search for the God particle. The news is that the confirmation of the particle's existence is "achingly close," and there are also new developments in the search for dark matter.
DiracPool
This just came out today:
http://news.yahoo.com/god-particle-confirmation-achingly-close-013616436.html

OMG, how long are they going to milk this story for? Don't you remember the press conference with the 5 sigma result where the director guy says, "I think we got it," and everyone applauds with the camera shot to Peter Higgs who's bawling his eyes out?

What is this news all about. I'm "aching" to know. Haha.

If that's not enough, what about this dark matter discovery that we were supposed to wait two weeks for, that we're still waiting for. All we know is that it went through "30 REVISIONS." 30 revisions, oh hell, this must be important, I think I'll quit my job and take my minions up to the top of Mount Rainier to wait for the apocalypse.

I've written articles with 300 revisions and wouldn't dare pre-announce it until it was finished and available at least as an online pre-print. I'm not going to waste people's time with some "Art-science tease."

What I like to do is to go to the grocery store, pick up my Swanson's turkey TV dinner (with the cranberry dessert I never eat), along with a six pack of Bartles and Jaymes (or Zima, whatever I'm in the mood for that night), and then stop off at the RedBox outside the front door and order a movie I can watch THAT NIGHT.

Am I alone here? You got something to say, say it and don't waste my time with your hype. If you got the green light to make Indiana Jones 5, please don't announce it 5 years before it comes out. I don't want to know. Once it's finished and I can rent it at RedBox next time I go, I'll be happy to consider it. I feel the same way about my science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't mind them announcing a little update. I've been wanting to know the status of the search actually.

1. What is the "God Particle"?

The "God Particle" is a nickname for the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle that is responsible for giving other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s and was finally discovered in 2012 by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider.

2. Why is the confirmation of the Higgs boson important?

The confirmation of the Higgs boson is important because it helps to complete our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics. It also provides evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which is thought to permeate the entire universe and give particles their mass.

3. How was the Higgs boson confirmed?

The Higgs boson was confirmed through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider. Scientists observed the decay of other particles into specific products that were predicted by the Standard Model if the Higgs boson existed. The results matched with the predictions, providing strong evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson.

4. What impact does the confirmation of the Higgs boson have on our understanding of the universe?

The confirmation of the Higgs boson has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It helps to explain how particles obtain mass and how the fundamental forces of the universe interact. It also provides support for the Standard Model and opens up new possibilities for further research and discoveries.

5. What does the future hold for the study of the Higgs boson?

The confirmation of the Higgs boson has opened up new avenues for research in particle physics. Scientists continue to study the properties of the Higgs boson and its interactions with other particles. They also hope to use the Large Hadron Collider and other experiments to search for evidence of new particles and phenomena that could help us better understand the universe.