1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No. of elements

1. May 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I am given ##n(A)## and ##n(B)## for two sets A and B, and also provided with ##n(A\cap B)^2##. We are supposed to find ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA))##.
    2. Relevant equations
    My teacher said that the formula for ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##. I am not sure how do you get to this result.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So my question is, how do you prove (or derive the relation)-
    ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Clarification

By ##\displaystyle\ AXB\ ## do you mean the direct product ##\displaystyle\ A\times B\ ## ?

Also is ##\displaystyle\ n(A\cap B)^2\ ## actually the square of the number ##\displaystyle\ n(A\cap B)\ ## ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. May 7, 2015 #3
    Yes. Sorry, I don't know how to get the thinner cross. And yes, for the second case too.

5. May 7, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

\times

## \text{\times gives you}\ \times ##

6. May 8, 2015 #5
    You must show that ## (A\times B) \cap (B\times A) = (A\cap B)\times (A\cap B) ##. The answer is then straightforward if you know how to calculate the cardinal of a cartesian product.
    More generally, ## (A\times B) \cap (C\times D) = (A\cap C) \times (B\cap D) ## (There is no such rule for a union)

btw: the question makes sense only if A and B are finite sets

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  7. May 8, 2015 #6
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted