Solving the Relation: ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##

In summary: I'll try that. And yes, A and B are finite sets.In summary, when given n(A) and n(B) for two finite sets A and B, and also provided with n(A∩B)^2, we are supposed to find n((AXB)∩(BXA)). The formula for this is n((AXB)∩(BXA)) = n(A∩B)^2, as stated by the teacher. To prove this, we must show that (A×B)∩(B×A) = (A∩B)×(A∩B). This rule also applies more generally to (A×B)∩(C×D) = (A
cr7einstein

Homework Statement

If I am given ##n(A)## and ##n(B)## for two sets A and B, and also provided with ##n(A\cap B)^2##. We are supposed to find ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA))##.

Homework Equations

My teacher said that the formula for ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##. I am not sure how do you get to this result.

The Attempt at a Solution

So my question is, how do you prove (or derive the relation)-
##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cr7einstein said:

Homework Statement

If I am given ##n(A)## and ##n(B)## for two sets A and B, and also provided with ##n(A\cap B)^2##. We are supposed to find ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA))##.

Homework Equations

My teacher said that the formula for ##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##. I am not sure how do you get to this result.

The Attempt at a Solution

So my question is, how do you prove (or derive the relation)-
##n((AXB) \cap (BXA)) = n(A \cap B)^2##
Clarification

By ##\displaystyle\ AXB\ ## do you mean the direct product ##\displaystyle\ A\times B\ ## ?

Also is ##\displaystyle\ n(A\cap B)^2\ ## actually the square of the number ##\displaystyle\ n(A\cap B)\ ## ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Sorry, I don't know how to get the thinner cross. And yes, for the second case too.

cr7einstein said:
Yes. Sorry, I don't know how to get the thinner cross. And yes, for the second case too.
\times

## \text{\times gives you}\ \times ##

You must show that ## (A\times B) \cap (B\times A) = (A\cap B)\times (A\cap B) ##. The answer is then straightforward if you know how to calculate the cardinal of a cartesian product.
More generally, ## (A\times B) \cap (C\times D) = (A\cap C) \times (B\cap D) ## (There is no such rule for a union)
btw: the question makes sense only if A and B are finite sets

Last edited:
Likes cr7einstein
Thanks!

1. What is the meaning of the equation "n((AXB) ∩ (BXA)) = n(A ∩ B)^2"?

The equation represents the number of elements that are common to both the sets A and B, when they are multiplied in the order AxB and BxA.

2. How is this equation useful in solving relations?

This equation is useful in solving relations because it helps to determine the number of common elements between two sets, which is an important aspect in understanding the relationship between the sets.

3. Can this equation be applied to all types of sets?

Yes, this equation can be applied to all types of sets, as long as they have a defined intersection operation and a defined multiplication operation.

4. Can this equation be extended to more than two sets?

Yes, this equation can be extended to more than two sets by using the general formula "n((A1xA2x...xAn) ∩ (A2xA3x...xAnxA1) ∩ ... ∩ (AnxA1x...xAn-1)) = n(A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ∩ An)^n" for n sets.

5. What is the significance of the squared term in the equation?

The squared term represents the fact that the number of common elements between two sets remains the same regardless of whether they are multiplied in the order AxB or BxA. This is an important property in understanding the commutative property of multiplication.