NO Reed switch in a magnetic field?

In summary: A reed switch operates in a non-changing magnetic field, ie. if you hold a magnet close to a reed switch and leave it there in position, the reed will stay closed. If you apply DC to the solenoid, this creates a steady magnetic field and causes the reed switch to be held closed. The reed stays that way until you switch off the field.
Robin07
NO Reed switch in magnetic field. What I'm wondering is, a normaly open switch is closed in the presents of a changing magnetic field. Would the switch be closed when the field is present but not changing? I'd rather use a Hall sensor but know very little in how I would hook that up to my reed switch and the DC power supply. Frist, I guess how does a NO reed swich behave. Any one?

Thanks for your responses
Robin Hooper

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Robin

A reed switch NORMALLY operates in a non-changing magnetic field ie. if you hold a magnet close to a reed switch and leave it there in position and the reed will stay closed

Dave

You apply DC to the solenoid, this creates a steady magnetic field and causes the reed switch to be held closed. The reed stays that way until you switch off the field.

Thanks guys, exactly the answer I was looking for, just needed it to be confirmed.

Many Thanks
Robin

Most Hall modern hall sensors are easy to use, the pin devices. It will have a pin for ground, another for power, and a third to tell you when the field is present.
Most run off of 3-5 volts and have what's called on open collector or open drain output.
This means that the output appears disconnected when no field is present, but is shorted to ground when a field is present.
The output is not as tough as your reed switch in that it can usually only handle a few tens of milliamps. Also, you cannot "pull" the output voltage above the devices supply voltage without fear of damage.

These parts are much smaller, somewhat cheaper, and are usually sensitive to which pole is facing them. Unlike the reed relay, they can be toggled for the life of the instrument without fear of wear.
There are numerous variations for mounting alternatives, output signal alternatives, sensitivity, operating voltage and so forth. Digi-Key is a good place to search, find data sheets, and/or buy them.

An informative reply, thanks Mike.

I'm not an electrical anything but you gave me food for thought, a direction allways helps.

So I went to Didikey and found some reed switches. Some of the choices are 'must operate' and 'must release'. I imagine this is where ones choices NO or NC. and that is what I'm not able to decifer between the two states. What's confusing is that one type lists 'must operate' but does not indicate 'must release'. Which is which?

Thanks for all your help thus far
Robin

Last edited:

1. What is a Reed switch and how does it work?

A Reed switch is an electrical switch that is activated by a magnetic field. It consists of two ferromagnetic contacts inside a glass tube that are normally open. When a magnet is brought near the switch, the contacts close and complete an electrical circuit.

2. Why is a Reed switch not affected by a magnetic field?

A Reed switch is not affected by a magnetic field because the contacts inside the glass tube are made of ferromagnetic material, which means they are naturally attracted to a magnet. However, the switch will only close if the magnetic field is strong enough to overcome the spring tension holding the contacts apart.

3. Can a Reed switch be used in all types of magnetic fields?

No, a Reed switch is designed to work in a specific range of magnetic fields. If the field is too weak, the contacts may not close. If the field is too strong, the contacts may stay closed even after the magnet is removed. It is important to choose a Reed switch with the appropriate sensitivity for the intended application.

4. What factors can affect the performance of a Reed switch in a magnetic field?

The sensitivity of a Reed switch can be affected by several factors, including the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the temperature, and the design of the switch itself. It is important to consider these factors when choosing a Reed switch for a specific application.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a Reed switch in a magnetic field?

Yes, there are other types of magnetic sensors that can be used in place of a Reed switch, such as Hall effect sensors and magnetoresistive sensors. These sensors use different principles to detect magnetic fields and may be more suitable for certain applications.