1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Calc based Physics before Calc based Physics

1. Nov 22, 2006 #1
    Is there any benefits to taking Non-Calc based Physics before Calc based physics??

Although it's not required I was thinking maybe I'll be able to obtain some superficial look at some topics in physics in preparation for the real stuff, since for me I'd have to wait another semester to take the calc-based since I'm taking Calc I this coming spring.

any advice is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2006 #2
    Most places do not let you get credit for both- you should check to make sure of that before you decide whether or not to do that.
  4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    I can receive credit for both, it's just that the non-calc would not count for my degree's core courses, only as an elective.
  5. Nov 22, 2006 #4
    i don't really know if it would be worth it. I was discouraged from it when I was an undergrad. And in retrospective, learning intro physics was a lot EASIER in my mind with calculus. There are a lot of things that just make a little more sense when you actually get to see the proper derivation rather than just been told to take it at face value. You could always just sit in on the lectures with the Professor's ok.
  6. Nov 22, 2006 #5
    I'd use those units for something else, like getting a GE course out of the way. If you just want to familiarize yourself with some of the concepts, Isaac Asimov's Understanding Physics is an easy read.
  7. Nov 23, 2006 #6
    Don't waste your time and money. If you want an overview, grab the text for the course and skim through it. Or any other basic physics text.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?