Non-dimensional differential equation 1

In summary, the appropriate non-dimensional differential equation for the height $x(t;u)$ of a body thrown vertically upwards from the ground at time $t\geq0$ is given by $\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-1-\mu(\frac{dx}{dt})$, with initial conditions $x(0)=0$ and $\frac{dx}{dt}(0)=1$, where $0<\mu<<1$. Using the method of separation of variables and applying the boundary condition, the non-dimensional height at the highest point can be deduced to be $h(\mu)=\frac{1}{\mu}-\frac{1}{\mu^2}\ln(1+\mu
ra_forever8
A body of constant mass is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. It can be shown that the appropriate non-dimensional differential equation for the height $x(t;u)$, reached at time $t\geq0$ is given by
\begin{equation} \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -1-\mu (\frac{dx}{dt})
\end{equation}
with corresponding initial conditions $x(0)=0, \frac{dx}{dt}(0) =1$, and where $0<\mu<<1.$
Deduce that the (non-dimensional) height at the highest point (where $\frac{dx}{dt} =0$) is given by
\begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}

=>
It really hard for me to start

I was thinking do integration twice by doing the separation of variable:
\end{equation}
I got the general solution of \begin{equation}x(t)= \frac{log(t\mu +1) -t \mu}{\mu^2}\end{equation}

after that I do not know how to get the answer.
Please help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Non-dimensional differential equation

grandy said:
A body of constant mass is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. It can be shown that the appropriate non-dimensional differential equation for the height $x(t;u)$, reached at time $t\geq0$ is given by
\end{equation}
with corresponding initial conditions $x(0)=0, \frac{dx}{dt}(0) =1$, and where $0<\mu<<1.$
Deduce that the (non-dimensional) height at the highest point (where $\frac{dx}{dt} =0$) is given by
\begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}

=>
It really hard for me to start

I was thinking do integration twice by doing the separation of variable:
\end{equation}
I got the general solution of \begin{equation}x(t)= \frac{log(t\mu +1) -t \mu}{\mu^2}\end{equation}

after that I do not know how to get the answer.
Please help me.

Your method is the right approach.

Let me show you the first step to find $v$.

Let $v=\frac {dx}{dt}$ and let $\dot v = \frac {d^2x}{dt^2}$.
Then:
\begin{array}{}
\dot v &=& -1 - \mu v \\
\frac{\dot v}{1 + \mu v} &=& -1 \\
\frac 1 \mu \ln(1+\mu v) &=& -t + C \\
v &=& C' e^{-\mu t} - \frac 1 \mu \\
\end{array}

Applying the boundary condition $v(0)=1$ yields:
$$v = \frac 1 \mu((\mu + 1)e^{-\mu t} - 1)$$

From here you can find the time $t$ at which $v=0$.
And you can also integrate again to find $x$.

Related to Non-dimensional differential equation 1

What is a non-dimensional differential equation 1?

A non-dimensional differential equation 1 is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between variables in a system, where the variables are expressed in a dimensionless form. This type of equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify complex systems and make them easier to analyze.

What are the advantages of using non-dimensional differential equations?

Using non-dimensional differential equations can provide several advantages, such as simplifying complex systems, reducing the number of variables, and making the equations easier to solve. These equations can also reveal important relationships and patterns within a system, allowing for a better understanding of the underlying principles.

What are some real-world applications of non-dimensional differential equations?

Non-dimensional differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, chemical kinetics, and population dynamics. They are also commonly used in engineering design and analysis, as well as in the study of biological and environmental systems.

How are non-dimensional differential equations solved?

Non-dimensional differential equations are typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and series methods. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.

Can non-dimensional differential equations be converted to dimensional equations?

Yes, non-dimensional differential equations can be converted to dimensional equations by introducing appropriate scaling factors for each variable. This process is known as dimensional analysis and can be useful in understanding the physical meaning of the equations and their solutions.