Can a two-qubit state be proven to be non-entangled using contraposition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of non-entangled states for a 2 qubit system and the theorem stating that a state is non-entangled if and only if the product of its coefficients satisfies a specific equation. The participants also discuss different approaches to proving this theorem, with one suggesting a rearrangement of the coefficients and the other realizing that a specific example can help prove the theorem.
JorisL
Hi

I'm going through some course notes for QM.
A state for a 2 qubit system is called non-entangled (or separable) if it can be decomposed in a tensorproduct of 2 single qubit states.

If we write a general state as
[tex]|\psi> = a_{00}|00>+a_{01}|01>+a_{10}|10>+a_{11}|11>[/tex]

A theorem states the following:
A two-qubit state is non-entangled [itex]\Leftrightarrow a_{00}a_{11}=a_{10}a_{01}[/itex]

Getting the right side from the left side is easy, trivial even. By just writing out the tensor product you automatically get this condition.

Proving it the other way around has been difficult for me.
I tried using the fact that the expectation of [itex]A\otimes B[/itex] would give the product of expectations on the one-qubit states. This didn't work as far as I could see.
Then I tried using contraposition i.e. prove that if the state is in fact entangled, the equation would be negated. Here I got stuck since I'm not sure how to do work with a general entangled state. Or would an example, like a Bell state, be enough to conclude the proof? (prolonged staring really makes one doubt his capabilities)

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that [itex]a_{00}a_{11}=a_{10}a_{01}[/itex], one can rearrange (with assumption that denominators are non-zero)
[tex]
\frac{a_{00}}{a_{01}}=\frac{a_{10}}{a_{11}}=\alpha \ldots(\text{say})
[/tex]

Now
[tex]
|\psi\rangle = a_{00}|00\rangle + a_{01}|01\rangle + a_{10}|10\rangle + a_{11}|11\rangle \\
= a_{01}|0\rangle \otimes (\alpha |0\rangle + |1\rangle) + a_{11}|1\rangle\otimes(\alpha |0\rangle + |1\rangle)\\= (a_{01}|0\rangle + a_{11}|1\rangle)\otimes (\alpha |0\rangle + |1\rangle).
[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, exactly what I needed. How could I have missed that :rolleyes:

1. What are non-entangled 2 qubit states?

Non-entangled 2 qubit states refer to a quantum state where the two qubits are not correlated or connected in any way. This means that the measurement or manipulation of one qubit will not affect the other qubit.

2. How are non-entangled 2 qubit states different from entangled states?

In entangled states, the two qubits are correlated and measuring or manipulating one qubit will have an effect on the other qubit. Non-entangled states do not have this correlation and are considered to be separable.

3. What is the significance of non-entangled 2 qubit states in quantum computing?

Non-entangled 2 qubit states are important in quantum computing because they are easier to manipulate and measure compared to entangled states. They also have applications in quantum error correction and quantum communication protocols.

4. How are non-entangled 2 qubit states created?

Non-entangled 2 qubit states can be created through various methods such as preparing the qubits in a specific state, applying quantum gates to individual qubits, or using quantum entanglement swapping techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of non-entangled 2 qubit states?

Non-entangled 2 qubit states have applications in quantum teleportation, quantum metrology, and quantum cryptography. They also play a role in quantum simulations and quantum algorithms for solving complex problems.