Non Geodesic Motion: Definition & Explanation

• Thread starter emanaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, HallsofIvy said that in general relativity, geodesics are the paths followed by objects with no "outside" forces acting on them (gravity not being considered an "outside" force here) so non-geodesic motion is motion with no outside forces.
emanaly
What is non geodesic motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obvious definition- motion that does not follow a geodesic! In relativity, geodesics are the paths followed by objects with no "outside" forces acting on them (gravity not being considered an "outside" force here) so non-geodesic motion is motion with no outside forces.

Just to elaborate quickly on what HallsofIvy said: in general relativity, the world line of a (nonspinning) test particle is a geodesic, i.e. a curve with zero path curvature. More generally, the path curvature at any event on some world line is just the magnitude of acceleration experienced by the corresponding particle. For example, a charged particle in an "electrovacuum solution" of the Einstein field equation (EFE) will experience a nonzero Lorentz force, whose magnitude (at each event on the world line of the particle) agrees with the path curvature.

HallsofIvy said:
non-geodesic motion is motion with no outside forces.
I'm guessing you meant either "geodesic motion is motion with no outside forces" or else "non-geodesic motion is motion with outside forces"?

Good catch, JesseM, I missed that! But I am sure HallsofIvy simply mistyped.

Chris Hillman said:
Just to elaborate quickly on what HallsofIvy said: in general relativity, the world line of a (nonspinning) test particle is a geodesic, i.e. a curve with zero path curvature. More generally, the path curvature at any event on some world line is just the magnitude of acceleration experienced by the corresponding particle. For example, a charged particle in an "electrovacuum solution" of the Einstein field equation (EFE) will experience a nonzero Lorentz force, whose magnitude (at each event on the world line of the particle) agrees with the path curvature.

Why spinning particles don't have a geodesic path?

Spin-spin forces plus an essential PF link

emanaly said:
Why spinning particles don't have a geodesic path?

I didn't quite say that. However, in gtr, a spinning object immersed in a nonzero gravitational field (perhaps caused by a much larger nearby and spinning object) will in general experience a tiny "spin-spin" force and thus will be pushed off a geodesic path. However, these forces would be much too small to measure in any currently envisioned solar system experiments (at least, not any I know of). See for example "Dixon-Papapetrou equations" in Stephani, General relativity.

By the way, I urge all members to carefully read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374 if they have not already done so, and indeed to bookmark it for future reference.

What is non-geodesic motion?

Non-geodesic motion refers to the motion of an object that does not follow the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. This is due to the influence of external forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces.

How is non-geodesic motion different from geodesic motion?

Geodesic motion is the motion of an object that follows the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, without the influence of external forces. Non-geodesic motion, on the other hand, is influenced by external forces and does not follow the shortest path.

What are some examples of non-geodesic motion?

Some examples of non-geodesic motion include the orbit of a satellite around a planet, the motion of a pendulum, and the trajectory of a ball thrown through the air.

Why is understanding non-geodesic motion important?

Understanding non-geodesic motion is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps us predict and analyze the behavior of objects in motion, and allows us to make accurate calculations and design efficient systems.

How is non-geodesic motion relevant to everyday life?

Non-geodesic motion plays a significant role in our daily lives, from the motion of vehicles on curved roads to the trajectory of a thrown ball. It also affects the functioning of devices such as GPS systems and satellite communication, making it essential for modern technology.