1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non ideal parallel plates (really quick question)

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    I'm writing a report about using numerical techniques to solve a simple parallel plates capacitor problem.

Would it be proper to say that there is no closed form solution to Lapalces equation when dealing with fringing effects? Isn't this the reason why we use numerical techniques to solve the problem?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2
    well in an idealized model, you can get closed form solutions for some fringing effects. However, i think it would be fair to say that you can't analytically solve for the fringing effects of any physical capacitor since there would be imperfections in the manufacturing process that would make it impractical, if not impossible, to get an exact solution for the potential even considering only classical electrodynamics.

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Conformal mapping can be used. I think that Panofsky and Phillips does it.

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4

So I really shouldn't say that there is no closed form solution. This is just for an introductory emag engineering class, so I don't want to say things I don't know ;)

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I was too optomistic. I looked at P & P, and they do not do the fringing case. They just treat simpler cases. I donn't think conformal mapping can do the parallel plate frilnging. Get on with your numerical work.

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6
    hehe, ok man.

Well I got that part done at least. Thanks for checking around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?