Non-linear 2rd diff. eqtn.

• Thread starter athrun200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Non-linear
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the solution to a differential equation and determining if a given function is a valid solution. The method involves replacing the given function into the differential equation and checking for accuracy. The conversation also discusses the linearity of the equation and the possibility of an approximation being incorrect.
athrun200

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=36816&stc=1&d=1309339678.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to ask how to obtain the solution?
What mathematical method involved?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Replace back the given function into the differential equation and see if it is really the solution.

ehild

What makes you think this is Non Linear?

ehild said:
Replace back the given function into the differential equation and see if it is really the solution.

ehild

I just want to know, if I only have the first line, how can I get second line?
Just by try and error?

Saladsamurai said:
What makes you think this is Non Linear?

I see there is a square there.:tongue:

athrun200 said:
I just want to know, if I only have the first line, how can I get second line?
Just by try and error?

Is the second line solution of the differential equation?

ehild

athrun200 said:
I see there is a square there.:tongue:

It's still linear because neither psi nor the second derivative of psi is being squared. However, the second line isn't the solution, and there's no solution in terms of elementary functions:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%27%27%3Dx^2*y

ideasrule said:
It's still linear because neither psi nor the second derivative of psi is being squared. However, the second line isn't the solution, and there's no solution in terms of elementary functions:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%27%27%3Dx^2*y
I saw the eqtn from this book.
Does it mean that the approximation is wrong?

attachment.php?attachmentid=36838&stc=1&d=1309409900.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 401
If you calculate the second derivative of Ψ=exp(±z2/2) you will find that it is (z2±1)Ψ. Therefore the Ψ-s are only approximate solution, valid for z2>>1.

ehild

1. What is a non-linear 2nd order differential equation?

A non-linear 2nd order differential equation is an equation that involves second derivatives of the dependent variable, and the equation itself is non-linear, meaning that the variable and its derivatives are not directly proportional to each other.

2. How do you solve a non-linear 2nd order differential equation?

Solving a non-linear 2nd order differential equation can be challenging and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as power series, substitution, or numerical methods. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose an appropriate method for solving it.

3. What are the applications of non-linear 2nd order differential equations?

Non-linear 2nd order differential equations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are commonly used to model complex systems and phenomena that cannot be described by linear equations.

4. Can non-linear 2nd order differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, non-linear 2nd order differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because they are more complex and can have multiple sets of initial conditions that lead to different solutions.

5. How do non-linear 2nd order differential equations differ from linear equations?

In linear equations, the variable and its derivatives are directly proportional to each other, while in non-linear equations, this relationship is not linear. This means that the solutions to non-linear equations can be much more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.