1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non negative Measurable function and Simple function

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ω=ℝ
    A=σ({x}[itex]:x\in ℝ[/itex]})

Determine [itex]H_{+}(Ω,A)[/itex] and [itex]S_{+}(Ω,A)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]H_{+}(Ω,A)[/itex] is the set of f:Ω→[0,∞) such that f is A/Borel(ℝ) measurable

[itex]S_{+}(Ω,A)[/itex] is the set of function in [itex]H_{+}(Ω,A)[/itex] such that number of f(Ω) is finite and [itex]f(Ω) \subseteq [0,∞)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I try to break down the requirements of the function and knowing that A is a set that consists of sets that is countable or the complement is countable by part and obtain the following

For all f:Ω→[0,∞) in [itex]H_{+}(Ω,A)[/itex], [itex]f^{-1}(B)[/itex] or [itex](f^{-1}(B))^{C}[/itex] is countable for all B in the Borel field.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. What I have in mind is when the function that maps from dots or a constant function discontinued at a few points? Since if the function is map from dots, the inverse will be countable. And the complement of the inverse will be countable if the function is map from a constant function discontinued at a few points.

But I'm not sure if this is just one of the many kind of function.

Thanks a lot in advance....

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted