Non-parallel velocity addition

In summary, the velocity of the probe as viewed on earth is 0.75c in the x direction and an unknown velocity in the y direction, which can be found using the velocity-addition formula for orthogonal velocities. The time dilation effect may also need to be taken into consideration.
jturko

Homework Statement

A spaceship moves with a velocity 0.75c xhat with respect to the earth. The ship releases a probe with a velocity 0.75c yhat relative to the ship. What is the velocity of the probe as viewed on earth, magnitude and direction?

Homework Equations

The velocity-addition formulae for all three spatial directions

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the velocity observed in the x direction of the probe will just be 0.75c, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around finding the velocity in the other directions. I know the velocity is changed due to the time dilation but cannot find the necessary equations to use. I think we are supposed to use 4-vectors

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Non-parallel velocity addition

1. What is non-parallel velocity addition?

Non-parallel velocity addition is a concept in physics that describes how velocities combine when two objects are moving in different directions. It is also known as relative velocity or Galilean addition of velocities.

2. How is non-parallel velocity addition different from parallel velocity addition?

Non-parallel velocity addition takes into account the direction of motion, while parallel velocity addition only considers the magnitude of velocities. In non-parallel velocity addition, the final velocity is dependent on the angle between the two velocities, whereas in parallel velocity addition, the final velocity is simply the sum of the two velocities.

3. What is the formula for non-parallel velocity addition?

The formula for non-parallel velocity addition is V = (u + v) / (1 + (uv/c^2)), where V is the final velocity, u and v are the initial velocities, and c is the speed of light.

4. What is the significance of non-parallel velocity addition?

Non-parallel velocity addition is important in understanding the motion of objects in relation to one another. It is used in various fields such as astronomy, aviation, and engineering to calculate the resulting velocities of objects in motion.

5. Can non-parallel velocity addition be applied to objects with velocities close to the speed of light?

Yes, non-parallel velocity addition can be applied to objects with velocities close to the speed of light. However, at such high speeds, the formula must be modified to take into account relativistic effects such as time dilation and length contraction.