Calculating Acceleration in Non-Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, the homework asks for the magnitude of the acceleration of a car and the direction it is moving. The magnitude of the acceleration is (v^2/R) v = velocity and R = radius, and the direction is determined by the angle between the centripetal acceleration and resultant.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just want to ask any of you who know physics pretty well if I am on the right track on this question, so it is asking for the magnitude of the acceleration of the car, and the direction. The magnitude of acceleration is (v^2/R) v = velocity and R = radius, so it is actually (at)^2/R where a = tangential acceleration, then plug in the numbers (0.75*20)^2/60 = 3.75 that is the centripetal acceleration. Now the magnitude of the acceleration of the car is just adding the radial acceleration and the tangential so sqrt(3.75^2 + 0.75^2) = 3.82 m/s^2. Now to get the direction, would I just use trigonometry for this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, trigonometry will do.

But when I use trigonometry I just get the angle between the centripetal acceleration and resultant, what does the angle need to be with respect to?

Panphobia said:
But when I use trigonometry I just get the angle between the centripetal acceleration and resultant, what does the angle need to be with respect to?

I suppose that since they want the "angle with respect to the track at this time", they'd want the angle with respect to the local tangent to the track, since the tangent represents the instantaneous direction of the track (and the direction of motion of the car).

Ahhhhh so basically it would be theta = 90 - cos^-1((Atot^2 - Ar^2 - Ac^2)/(-2(Ar)(Ac)))

Panphobia said:
Ahhhhh so basically it would be theta = 90 - cos^-1((Atot^2 - Ar^2 - Ac^2)/(-2(Ar)(Ac)))

Should be a bit simpler than that, no? You're dealing with two vectors which are at right angles to each other, and one of them is pointing in the direction of travel.

ahhhhh! I was thinking in relative motion still, both of those things are on the assignment, yea I know I figured it out right after I posted that, just soh cah toa :P

Panphobia said:
ahhhhh! I was thinking in relative motion still, both of those things are on the assignment, yea I know I figured it out right after I posted that, just soh cah toa :P

:smile:

1. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at a varying speed. This means that the object is constantly changing its velocity, either in terms of magnitude or direction, as it moves around the circle.

2. How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along the circular path, meaning that its velocity remains constant. However, in non-uniform circular motion, the object's velocity is not constant, and it may accelerate or decelerate as it moves around the circle.

3. What causes an object to undergo non-uniform circular motion?

An object may experience non-uniform circular motion due to the presence of a net force acting on it, such as friction or a centripetal force. This force is responsible for changing the object's velocity and causing it to move in a non-uniform manner along the circular path.

4. How is the acceleration calculated in non-uniform circular motion?

In non-uniform circular motion, the acceleration is not constant, so it cannot be calculated using the simple formula of a = Δv/Δt. Instead, the acceleration must be calculated using the vector sum of the tangential and centripetal accelerations, which take into account both the change in speed and direction of the object's motion.

5. Can an object undergo non-uniform circular motion without a net force acting on it?

No, an object cannot undergo non-uniform circular motion without a net force acting on it. Since the object's velocity is constantly changing in non-uniform circular motion, there must be a force present to cause this change. In the absence of a force, the object would continue to move in a uniform circular motion.