Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Non-Uniform Dielectric

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    This isn't a homework problem, just something to explore my understanding so correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.

I have given myself the situation where I have a capacitor of area "A" and separation "d"

Between them is a non-uniform but continuous dielectric, so that the dielectric on the right plate is significantly more dense than that of the left.

I have also given the dielectric the function: [tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_{0}+\alpha x[/tex]
    where x is the distance from the left plate.

Now I can find my answer by taking an infinite sum of infinitesimal capacitors in series.

I'm just confused now on how to properly build the formula. Should I take the derivative of
    my capacitance formula with respect to d, plug in for epsilon as a function of distance and integrate? Or how?

I've listed a few of my ideas on formulas below. If anyone can point out the right one and why.

[tex] C = \frac{\epsilon_{ave} A}{d} [/tex]
    Where
    [tex]\epsilon_{ave}=\frac{1}{d}\int \epsilon_{0}+\alpha x dx[/tex]

[tex] C_{eq} = \int \frac{-(\epsilon_{0}+\alpha x)A dx}{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \int \frac{dx}{(\epsilon_{0}+\alpha x)A} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \int \frac{x dx}{(\epsilon_{0}+\alpha x)A} [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi godtripp! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε and an alpha: α and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

You have to integrate 1/C to get 1/Ceq.

For a slice of thickness dx, d(1/C) = dx/εA,

and so 1/Ceq = ∫ d(1/C) = ∫ dx/εA :smile:

(and, just to check … when ε is constant, that's x/εA ! :wink:)

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    Thank you tim!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook