Noncommutative group with twelve elements.

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding a noncommutative group with twelve elements. The attempt at a solution involves considering a group of integers under subtraction, but it only contains eleven elements and is not associative. The suggestion is made to think about geometric groups, and eventually a solution involving mirroring and rotations of a figure with six edges is proposed.
Reid

Homework Statement

I need to find a group with twelve elements that is noncommutative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was considering a group G of the integers (-5,-4,-3,-2-,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5) with respect to subtraction. Subtraction is associative/noncommutative, G has the neutral element, and every element has an inverse! Excellent!

But (!) it composes only eleven elements! I need twelve!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, it is not a group.
3 - (-3) is not an element of your set.
0 is not a left identity element either: 0 - 3 is not 3.

Try thinking about geometric groups (symmetries of 2 and 3-dimensional objects).

(1-2)-3=1-(2-3)? Subtraction isn't associative either. Subtraction is a pretty poor candidate for a group operation.

Thank you CompuChip! :)

And Dick :smile:

Did you solve it now?

At least I think I did. :) I regarded the geometrical figure with six edges. And looked at the mirroring and rotations of that structure. Is that better?

Reid said:
At least I think I did. :) I regarded the geometrical figure with six edges. And looked at the mirroring and rotations of that structure. Is that better?

That works fine.

1. What is a noncommutative group with twelve elements?

A noncommutative group with twelve elements is a mathematical structure consisting of twelve elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements in a specific way. The operation is noncommutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined matters.

2. How is a noncommutative group with twelve elements different from a commutative group?

In a commutative group, the order in which the elements are combined does not matter. This means that the result of combining two elements is the same regardless of their order. In a noncommutative group, the order does matter and can produce different results.

3. What are some real-world applications of noncommutative groups with twelve elements?

Noncommutative groups with twelve elements have applications in various fields such as cryptography, physics, and chemistry. For example, in cryptography, these groups are used to create secure encryption algorithms. In physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems. In chemistry, they are used to study the structure and properties of molecules.

4. How do you determine the elements and operation of a noncommutative group with twelve elements?

The elements of a noncommutative group with twelve elements can be any unique objects, such as numbers or matrices. The operation can be defined in different ways, but it must follow certain rules to make the group structure valid. For example, the operation must be associative, meaning that the order in which three elements are combined does not matter.

5. Can a noncommutative group with twelve elements have more than one operation?

Yes, a noncommutative group with twelve elements can have more than one operation. In fact, there are many noncommutative groups with twelve elements that have multiple operations. These groups are called noncommutative rings and have additional properties and rules for combining elements.