1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonconservative forces

1. Oct 14, 2003 #1
    I am really having a hard time with this there is something I am missing can someone help
    a 2100 kg car starts from rest at the top of a 5.0 m long driveway that is sloped at 20 Deg with the horizontal . if an average friction force of 4000 N impedes the motion find the speed of the car at the bottom of the driveway. The answer is 3.8m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2003 #2
    Use newton's law F_total = m*a.

JMD

4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    That's not entirely correct nbo10, first u need to calculate the Gravitational force on the truck, then you calculate the Fx, which will help you further.

p.s. don't forget the 20 degrees

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  5. Oct 15, 2003 #4
    No, I'm entirely correct. F_total includes gravitational foce and friction.

JMD

6. Oct 15, 2003 #5
    I think, I think more like a physics teacher, since I don't think F_total = m*a is very precise. I think emaqueen already knew about this equation.

7. Oct 15, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm puzzled by that. I will admit that I'm NOT a physics teacher so perhaps I don't think like one. But in a problem that talks about forces and asks for speed, I would think that F= ma would be key.

Perhaps you mean that we should do it by calculating the energy!
    Okay, that's often a good way to do these problems. Initially, the car has 0 kinetic energy. Since the driveway is 5m long and sloped at 20 degrees, the height of the car at the top of the driveway is 5 sin(20)= 1.71 m and its potential energy is (2100)(9.8)(1.71)=

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?